Re: Day by day

Fascinating!  My closest friend growing up was related to the Noble
family, who with the Donlkes, founded Anniston, in 1882, first as a steel
town, and then as a soil pipe center.  The Nobles were Episcopalians.
Were the Donlkes?  Very early on Anniston had two episcopal parishes,
St. Michael's and Grace.

My friend's sister married Bill Stough, now retired as Bishop of Alabama.
Bill told me his mother always said, "There are only 39 Episcopalians and
I know 26 of them."

I was a member of the Boy Scouts at Grace Church, by my family were
Baptists.  I went to Baylor to become a preacher, but instead became
atheist to the Baptist religion. Darlington saw my undergraduate minors in
Greek and religion and assigned me to teach the senior bible course. Since
everyone went to church in those days, believer or not, I tried the local
churches.  St. Peter's did not require me to hang my mind up at the door
the way First Baptist did, nor did it hook me up to a lie detector during
the creed.  It allowed me to wait quietly for God to find me.

Darlington was a fierce rival to my own prep school, McCallie in
Chattanooga ('54).  Ted Turner sat two seats behind me in study hall, but
since he was two years younger, I knew no good would come of him.  He and
I studied Bible under Dr. J. P. McCallie, as had Howard Baker and Pat
Robertson a decade earlier.  Isn't life rich! -- Lutibelle and Pat
Robertson with the same Bible teacher.

There were always several who crossed over between the two schools.  Dr.
Presley, the founder of Darlington, had been a leader at McCallie.  After
I left Darlington, Dr. J. P. McCallie's grandson Jimmy, a class behind me,
became president of Darlington for many years.....

Nostalgia sometimes threatens to become terminal.