Re: Day by day

How kind y'all have been in sharing my joy on the 40th anniversary of my
confirmation (10/29/61).

We're all blood kin in the Eucharist.

We may also be related through the Crew blood line, XXXX. My ancestors were
kicked out of England as Quakers and showed up in the 1640 census in
Virginia.  They were still in Richmond teaching in a Quaker school for
freed slaves in 1810, and were kicked out of the Quakers for mustering in
the War of 1812.  They moved to western Georgia for a short time, and
after the Battle of Horseshoe Bend, moved into the Alabama territory,
establishing Crewsville (extinct by 1860), and then moved to Coosa County,
where my great-grandfather John L. Crew was a private in the Coosa Country
unit of the War Between the States.

John was captured by Yankees and spent time in a prison staffed by African
Americans.  Like many others, he returned an alcoholic and fierce racist
saying "So long as there is a black man, I will never put on my own coat
again."

For almost 28 years my black husband and I have slept in the four poster
bed that John inherited from his Quakers great-grandparents who had taught
freed slaves to read and write.

One reason that I respect institutions is that the give a bit of
continuity in contrast to the caprice of families.  Once the church
decides to address a problem (illiteracy, e.g., or leprosy), it tends to
stay until everyone can read and write or until the last leper is healed.

Joy to you, my sister!

L.

P.S.

Dad did all the data gathering on the family back in the 50s and 60s.  I
was intimidated by his research since I knew that I would be the end of
his line.  I am glad that he kept at it even when we learned that I am
gay.  I am especially glad that before he died he welcomed Ernest as his
son too.