Re: Talliban have declared a holy war against USA.

My friend Gordon Ritter, a psychiatrist in the Diocese of El Camino Real,
reminded bishops and deputies this last week that the hymn which begins

        Faith of our fathers, living still,
        In spite of dungeon, fire, and sword.
        Oh how our hearts beat high with joy,
        Whene'er we hear that glorious Word.
        Faith of our fathers, holy faith,
        We will be true to thee 'til death.

Used to have a second verse, which was "sanitized for recent hymn books":

        Our fathers, chained in prisons dark,
        Were still in heart and conscience free.
        How sweet would be our children's fate,
        If they, like them, could die for thee !
        Faith of our fathers, holy faith,
        We will be true to thee 'til death.

Anyone who has spent any time in the Old Testament recently is fully aware
of all the bloody appeals for God to wipe out our enemies.  The most
gruesome of all comes at the end of an otherwise quite lovely psalm,
No. 137:

	O daughter Babylon, you devastator!
	Happy shall they be who pay you back
	what you have done to us!
	Happy shall they be who take your little ones
	and dash them against the rock!

And it's dangerous to retreat too smugly into the Christian scriptures,
lest we ignore the disciples in a tiff who cut of an ear, or the
destructions wrought on God's enemies in the Revelation.

L.

----