Re: [HoB/D] COUNTER-ATTACK

Louie:

You express concern and criticism of the actions of Congress and our
President but offer no solution(s).

 Please, Fr. Crewe, what would you have your President, your Congress and
your country do at this time to preclude further acts of terrorism?

XXXX

---

Louie Crew responds with some ways the government might respond to the
current crisis:

* Congress should not neglect its responsibility to participate
  fully in the nation's decision in this crisis.  It should never
  give the chief executive officer 100% carte blanche, especially
  given the ambiguity of "at war" means in this instance.

* The government should not retaliate to generalized enemies, but
  should  respond only to the perpetrators and their collaborators.

* The government should use only the highest standards of proof of
  guilt, especially with those alleged to be 'collaborators.' "Those
  who harbor them" is much too vague a standard.

* As some others have suggested, it might be best to pursue these as
  heinous criminals, but not as national conspirators, taking the
  matter to juridical remedies rather than to military 'solutions.'

* The government should exercise much more care in its stereotyping
  of Islam.  Muslems are no more foreign to the USA than are we
  Episcopalians:  followers of Islam in the USA outnumber
  Episcopalians.  Both groups have bad eggs but should not be
  defined by them.  Nor would you want anyone to define Christianity
  by Fred Phelps or David Dukes.

* The government should not promise quick responses.  The best
  often more dangerous than those whom they pursue.

Those are just starters.  I am under no illusion that any one set of rules
will get us through this crisis or rid the world of terrorism.  Perhaps
the biggest need right now is for sustained reflection about how the
current models of warfare simply do not work:  rather than reduce
terrorism, they exacerbate those who already feel aggrieved.  The war to
end all terrorism could well become the most terrible war of all.  We need
to have many conversations about what might work better. We are in
uncharted territory.

One commentator noted that much of our anti-terrorism process now is about
as irrelevant to the ways terrorists operate as was the US Cavalry which
we continued to maintain in WW1.

Far more than any of my suggestions above, we need to learn to wage peace,
not war.

I claim no expertise in these matters, but offer my suggestions because
you asked for them.  However, in doing so, I specifically reject your
implied premise that people should not criticize unless they have better
solutions.  Recognizing a problem and solving a problem are different
spiritual gifts and do not always appear in the same person.  Many are able
to speak quite prophetically about what is wrong; often those who alone
could fix the wrong would not have noticed it as wrong until the prophet
speaks.

I rejoice that we have this space as brothers to challenge one another.
Whatever solution we discover will need loving participation by all of us.

Fr. Crewe?  Never heard of him.

Lutibelle/Louie

   The laity is the senior and largest order of ministry  -- Chris Ambidge