Re: [HoB/D] COUNTER-ATTACK

Sarah, Ernie,

I agree with you both, and that's part of the huge conflict.

Some people move through various stages of grief faster (not necessarily
better or worse) than others.  Many are still in shock and not prepared to
look at complexity at all.  Some others for the good of the order have put
much of their grief on hold, some to retrieve the dead, others to care for
the wounded, others to reflect on the quality of our national response.

Giving exclusive priority to those who need our prayers and help can be
dangerous if all people exercise only that important priority.  Witness
the 100% vote of support of Congress to approve of ANYTHING the President
wants to do.  He has repeatedly promised that the response will come very
soon. That could prove disastrous to millions of people.  And it is most
likely to occur without restraint precisely at the time that people are
most emotional and least in touch with our critical faculties.

Many governments have responded to terrorists by striking at the countries
or ethnic/religious groups into which they were born.  That would only
escalate the conflict, creating new innocent victims who may retaliate in
kind in an endless cycle of violence, such as we see in Northern Ireland
and in the Middle East.

It is important that some get to reasoned responses quickly even if they
have to delay part of their grieving.  Otherwise all people in
Afghanistan, Libya, Iraq...  need to head for their bomb shelters, as do
any Americans who look like they came from one of those places.

For a few days after the Oklahoma bombing many in America were talking
about getting back at the Arabs until we realized we might have to get
back at blond white males like myself.

I have stayed glued to the windows of my apartment watching the
smoldering, except for three vital times to be in community with others
who are grieving.  At our diocesan Eucharist today, I noticed that people
lingered and lingered at the front of the cathedral, in a holy huddle of
grief that we dared not leave.  Other holy huddles are occurring in
lobbies and elevators and on streets all across the metro area.

In that sacred space, I was surprised that several came to thank me for
access to this list, to the discourse of Christians everywhere, not just
the comments of reporters.  Even living at the site, we need to remain
connected with those who are not here.

Let us all be patient with one another across the different watches that
we keep.

L.