Standing in solidarity with those in special danger

Perhaps we Christians should wear "distinctly Islamic dress in public",
even as the King Christian X of Denmark wore the Star of David during WW2.

ECUSA congregations might volunteer to help guard well-known Muslim-owned
stores and restaurants.

ECUSA congregations might invite Muslims to speak at this time regarding
their own grief and their solidarity with us.

All who plan memorial services should make a special effort to include
Islamic leaders not just as attendees, but as planners and presenters.  If
you don't know any, that should tell us volumes about the reasons for some
of the tensions between our communities.  God can use this time to heal
those divisions if we will cooperate.

Surely there are many other ways that we can collaborate, for God has made
to be of one blood all the nations of the earth.  The best way to respond
to our own pain is to respond to the pain and vulnerability of others.

Lutibelle/Louie

>From Chris Herlinger' report in an ENI release today:

There were reports of sporadic harassment of Arab residents in
some parts of New York and Chicago, and a number of well-known
Muslim-owned stores and restaurants in the borough of Brooklyn
remained closed, apparently from fear of violence.

In the immediate aftermath of Tuesday's attacks, Islamic
institutions in many cities were placed under round-the-clock
police guard, the Guardian said.

Leaders of the US Muslim community - estimated to be 3.5 million
strong - have issued statements of grief, and have called on
Muslims to offer assistance to relief efforts. But they have also
tried to prepare for public anti-Muslim sentiment, in some cases
telling members not to wear "distinctly Islamic dress in public",
the Guardian reported.

"This is a terrible time, not only for Muslims but for all
believing people who believe in coexistence," said Mohamad
Yusuff, editor of the Washington-area Voice of Islam newspaper.
"No true Muslim would do anything like [these attacks]."

The fear of inter-religious tension caused both New York Mayor
Rudolph Giuliani and Roman Catholic Cardinal Edward Egan to warn
against expressions of vengeance against Arab Americans. "Hate
never begets peace,'' Egan said at an 11 September homily at St
Patrick's Cathedral in mid-town Manhattan. "Justice does."