Re: [HoB/D] 'Defrock Ssenyonjo'

XXXX,

I wonder how long it took before no one in the the early church knew or
even cared who in the congregation with them was or was not circumcised.

Your letter makes it poignantly clear that you are not there yet with
regard to lesbigays in the councils of the church.  I fear I will live and
die without your ever having enjoyed our being disciples together.  You
cannot enjoy that if you continue to take every opportunity to try to
frighten people by suggesting that they have defected from real
Christianity when they allow lesbigays to "represent the church" without
rebuke.

I am particularly perplexed by your suggestion that lesbigays are not
faithful to scripture merely because we do not come to the same
conclusions you do about its witness of God's intentions for our lives. I
have never taken scripture lightly. I just ended forty-four years teaching
scripture at the university.  I may be wrong in my conclusions, and I do
need to be challenged, just as you may be wrong and need to be challenged,
but you write as if I have never heard your arguments or as if I have
hardness of heart because your arguments have not persuaded me.

Your unselfish love for the Episcopal Church is a model for me.  Many
others with your talent and resources do not heed the Gospel.  It is a
treat to be together on this same stretch of the gravel path in our holy
pilgrimage. It is a treat to be in the House of Deputies with you and to
follow you in serving on Executive Council. I rejoice to be your fellow
disciple.

I hope I can be graceful in embroidering whatever Scarlet Letter you
require, imagining a time when people won't even know what the letter
stood for or why anyone wanted lesbigays to wear it.

Love God with your mind:  Visit the Global Witness at
http://www.thewitness.org/agw