re: If you really try, you can become a heterosexual

I am disappointed that some are already reacting with alarm about this
study.  Of course some lesbigays can make satisfactory heterosexual
adaptations.  I did, and sexuality had nothing to do with why my treasured
5-year-old heterosexual marriage fell apart almost 30 years ago.  It seems
to me obvious that bisexual engines can run on one piston or on seven.

The best response to the study, it seems to me, is to ask other questions
about the reality that it documents.

For example, why should one should want to operate on one or two pistons
when an alternative exists to operate on six or seven pistons.

Given the vast difference between hetero- and lbg- privilege, what is the
role of social pressure to conform to heterosexist expectations?  What
effects do these non-erotic realities have on the spontaneity and honesty
which lovers have a right to expect of one another?

To what degree have those in this study who have adapted heterosexually
been able to affirm other lesbigays who chose not to?  That would for me
be a significant measure of their comfort in their adaptation.  (It's
similar to asking a teetotaler whether she makes the choice freely for
herself, or demands all others around to make the same choice.)

How many of those who have adapted heterosexually are open about their
lesbigay history with their partners and with their communities?  That
would for me be a significant measure of how much the adaptation has been
motivated by love as opposed to hetero privilege.

---
At the World Council of Church meeting in Harare, Zimbabwe in December
1998, a woman from Swaziland asked me how I felt about healed homosexuals.

"Would you want your daughter to marry a 'healed homosexual,'" I asked,
eyes twinkling.

She twinkled back: "You're not a mother so you need to understand that I'm
not likely to give my approval easily to anyone my daughter might choose
to marry! However, I can say one thing with certainty, if a healed
homosexual were to seek to marry her, I hope very much that he would be
honest with her about that before the marriage."

I noted how important it is to demystify sexuality and to create a safe
space for such candor: right now the stigmas against homosexuals make such
candor a rare commodity indeed.

          from http://www.andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/wccdiary.html
---

I honor Spitzer for his important efforts early on to take us off the
disease list, and I welcome his new study as an opportunity to address the
larger issues to which it speaks.

Lutibelle/Louie, a Kinsey 5

Louie Crew, English Dept., Rutgers University, Newark, NJ 07102
http://newark.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/lbg_edir.html "The best way to find out
about new research on issues of sexuality"--Chronicle of Higher Education