Re: [HoB/D] theology of marriage

Bishop Benitez,

Thank you for your articulate witness to your work as a marriage
counselor.   I applaud you for using those opportunities to share the
faith, and I urge others to follow your good example.  Far too many
people get their theology of marriage from BRIDES MAGAZINE.

A first cousin who is very dear to me is a minister in a
fundamentalist group in Dallas, and he tells me that the same problems
exist in his community as well.

Most in Integrity share your concern.  We have many people coming for
a blessing with no idea what marriage entails.  Several of our
chapters require that those who would be blessed attend Eucharist with
us faithfully for at least 6 months and that the couples willingly
undertake marriage counseling for a specified number of sessions.

These seem to me  more important concerns than getting the right words
in the Prayer Book.  God is giving us a great opportunity in our
current struggles:  in reviewing what is and is not do-able, we have
an opportunity to enhance our understanding of the full range of what
it means to be in a sacramental relationship for life.

I am lucky to teach at the world's most diverse campus, according to
Newsweek.  Over 60 percent of my students go home to speak another
language at night.   The one thing about American culture that comes
under the harshest scrutiny by articulate recently arrived citizens is
our  marriage system.   Students from cultures with 'arranged
marriages' often are the most conflicted in these critiques:  many
want for themselves the greater freedom of choice they find here, but
want none of the instability that goes along with unions based
primarily on ephemera.

Ernest and I particularly like the lines from "Rabbi Ben Ezra," and
repeat them often:

                    Grow old along with me!
                    The best is yet to be,
                    The last of life, for which the first was made:
                    Our times are in His hand
                    Who saith "A whole I planned,
                    Youth shows but half; trust God: see all, nor be
afraid!"

                                            --Robert Browning

I missed seeing you in Denver.  Were you there?

Joy to you and Joanne both!

Lutibelle/Louie

Louie Crew, 377 S. Harrison St., #12D, East Orange, NJ 07018-1225
http://newark.rutgers.edu/~lcrew   973-395-1068