[Fwd: Re: [HoB/D] Swaziland's Unique AIDS Solution]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [HoB/D] Swaziland's Unique AIDS Solution
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 14:26:40 -0700
From: Louie Crew <lcrew@andromeda.rutgers.edu>
To: BishopsDeputies@justus.anglican.org

Gentle Patrick,

Thank you for your compassionate letter.  I share your concern for the
grave economic jeopardy of our sisters and brothers in Africa as well as
your concern for the devastating progress of AIDS there.  Indeed, I served
as secretary of The Standing Commission on Anglican and International
Peace with Justice Concerns, the body that presented the largest number of
resolutions addressing the needs of Africa and others in the two-thirds
world, and I am enormously grateful that General Convention responded
positively to all our resolutions.  I also submitted the resolution
regarding the Dalits (Untouchables) in India, and my Indian colleagues
rejoice with me in the support GC gave, calling on us to urge the UN to
add protections for the Dalits.

You wrote:

> I disagree that same value system informed the hisses at  Lambeth.  We must
> acknowledge that discussing sex was not on the priority list of bishops from
> the two third world countries. The issues of the churches in Africa, Asia
> and the Southern Cone are not who sleeps with whom but the pressing  issues
> of poverty, persecution and economic justice.

I wish you were right, but numerous junkets of African bishops to this
country, as well as to Singapore and Porto suggest that they are much
pre-occupied with the sexual practices and policies of the Episcopal
Church.  On September 28, 1999 I met in NYC with bishops who responded to
the invitation of our Presiding Bishop to 'come and see' what is going on
with lesbigays in the Episcopal Church-- Bishop Maurice Sinclair from
Argentina, Primate of the Southern Cone of South America, Archbishop Harry
Goodhew from Sydney, Australia, Bishop John Rucyahana representing
Archbishop Emmanuel Kolini of Rwanda, Bishop Simon Makundi representing
Archbishop Donald Mtetemela of Tanzania, and Bishop Peter Njenga
representing Archbishop David Gitari of Kenya.  Five lesbigay priests and
I shared details of our ministry with our visitors.  When we were done,
our guests, by my watch, talked longer than we had, and addressed almost
nothing of what they had heard, but instead scolded the Episcopal Church
for allowing folks like us to serve, suggesting that we had the power to
destroy the whole Communion.

I took no pleasure in pointing out to the three bishops present from
Africa on that occasion that if heterosexual Christians in Africa were
living in the patterns which they had come half way round the world to
promote there would be no AIDS crisis in Africa.

In the spring of 1989 the Archbishop Okoth of Uganda told me at a dinner
in Newark that there was no AIDS crisis in Africa.  Already whole villages
in Uganda had been wiped out, but he was living in denial.  He repented of
his ignorance only months before he retired shortly thereafter.

A couple of years later I received from ECUSA a request for money to help
with the AIDS crisis in Africa.  Along with my check I sent along a note
explaining that the amount I could afford to give personally could be
magnified much if they would make use of my offer to help them raise money
by putting me on their board, and I offered to give the assignment a high
priority.  They refused my offer.  As a gay Christian I would bring too
much stigma to their effort!

Last August, I had the privilege of staying in the home of an African
bishop and asked him whether he had ever heard the story of a gay
Christian.  He had not and agreed to hear mine.  My friend Bishop Shimpfky
was present at the same occasion.  I was grateful for that holy time.
What lingers for me as a great sadness, however, is the fact that my host
had voted with the majority at Lambeth without ever having taken the time
to hear such testimony.  Yet in his own church Bishop Shimpfky and I were
able to connect with gay Christians.

At the 8th Assembly of the World Council of Churches in Harare in December
1998, there were more discussion groups on issues of human sexuality than
there were on economic issues, and the 50+ groups discussing homosexuality
were the best attended of discussions on any other subject there.  I went
expecting the hostility of Lambeth, but was pleasantly surprised by the
kindness with which hundreds from all over Africa and the rest of the
world received our witness. (See my extensive diary of the WCC at
http://newark.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/wccdiary.html).

If bishops in Africa have little priority to give to issues of human
sexuality they were wrong to give it so much of their time at Lambeth.  I
agree that we all should give much higher priority to economic injustice
and AIDS .

There was absolutely no need to vote on homosexuality at Lambeth,
especially since Lambeth has no binding authority on the provinces of the
Communion and since the issue is one about which there are fierce
divisions.  But vote they did, and hiss many did.  They also disinvited
lesbigays summoned to meet with them during the Conference.

Bishops at Lambeth voted to commit themselves to hear from lesbian and gay
Christians.  I have made sure that hundreds of Anglican bishops online
know that we are willing to accept their invitations.  Yet now, two years
later, no invitations have been issued!  Dishonesty is no more acceptable
in a bishop than in any other person.

Archbishop Akinola of Nigeria recently took advantage of the occasion of
his visit to a parish in my diocese to give an interview to a conservative
journalist
to whom he blasted the Episcopal Church for our alleged sinfulness in
welcoming lesbigays. He bragged that he had never met a homosexual person,
and his host parish made no effort to assure that he did.  I
whole-heartedly support that parish's right to invite ANYONE it chooses; I
consider this particular choice about as evangelically sensitive as it
would be had they invited David Duke to speak on 'white spirituality.'

St. Paul said that we wrestle not with flesh and blood, but with
principalities and powers and spiritual wickedness in high places.

May God find us ever faithful to the wondrous love which God has bestowed
generously on the very least of us.  God wants us to spread that love to
absolutely everybody.

cc Online bishops of the Anglican Communion

Louie Crew, Chair, Diocese of Newark Deputation to GC2000
377 S. Harrison St., 12D, East Orange, NJ 07018-1225. 973-395-1068
http://newark.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/rel.html  Anglican Pages