Re: Rwandan Blessings

Ken,

While in Mozambique last August, Bishop Shimpky and I attended the
wedding of Mozambique's ambassador to Portugal.  Bishop Sengulane
performed the rite in the parish in the bride's home village, and well
over a thousand invited guests came, plus all the folks in the
village.  At the feast afterwards, Bishop Shimpfky and I were seated
at the head table.  On my right was the President of Mozambique and on
my left the Portuguese ambassador to Mozambique...

The two children of the bride and groom (about 10- and 12- years old)
played important roles in the procession.

The couple had married in a civil ceremony years ago, but now wanted
to move into the sacramental dimensions of marriage.  Bishop Sengulane
noted that this pattern is quite common in Mozambique.

It is my understanding of marriage that it is done solely by the
couple themselves.  The BCP calls the service a service of
Solemnization of Holy Matrimony. The celebrant only 'pronounces' the
two husband and wife; he does not make them so.  The state and the
church alike acknowledge that no matter how much solemnized or
pronounced, some marriages never existed, were null and void, because
the couple had not themselves married.

When Ernest and I plighted our troth in 1974, using the 1928 BCP (the
only one available to us at the time) we were fully aware of the
presence of our only guest, God; and we understood the fearsome
pledges we made before God that night.  In no way can ECUSA put us
asunder.   We have been amused through the years when supportive
priests have offered to 'marry us.'  Thanks, but no thanks:  been
there; done that.  It is not we who have been living in sin for the
last 26+ years.   Nevertheless, we were surprised at how much it meant
when so many joined us last year as we renewed the vows which we had
taken a quarter of a century before.  It gave me a clearer glimpse of
why such a public solemnization would bless lesbigay couples now
denied such blessings.  But be don't have to wait for the church to
act:  God is able to have the very stones to speak God's will if human
beings refuse to do so.   God has blessed Ernest and me full measure,
pressed down and running over.

I'm distressed by some of the rhetoric surrounding the approval of
blessing lesbigay unions.  Some talk about blessings as something
somehow lesbigays deserve because we are 'good enough.' Yet with
straights, even those who have known each other a few hours, we assume
that the institution is good for them whether or not they have yet
grown fully to understand it.

I don't experience marriage as an affirmation of my 'goodness.'
God's redemptive presence with us has been confirmed more powerfully
not when each is nice to the other (which is most of the time) but on
those occasions when each falls into his worst self.  At those times
the other has always responded with love that cannot be exclusively of
our own making, but God's love working through us.  The church is not
now a safe place for such holy candor.

In time it will be, with God's help.

I rejoice in your ministry of love and kindness.

Lutibelle/Louie

Louie Crew, 377 S. Harrison St., #12D, East Orange, NJ 07018-1225
http://newark.rutgers.edu/~lcrew   973-395-1068