Re: New church head calls for tolerance of gays.

Bishop Robertson,

Thanks for sharing your reflections, which I have passed along to the
ECUSA bishops and deputies online.  It pleases me to have your voice all
the way from permafrost.com in the Arctic.

I face the same problem you describe, and it seems to me an ongoing
problem of being a Christian.  In the Episopal Church in the US, we have
encountered it most dramatically in the new importance that we have given
to renewing our baptismal covenant "to respect the dignity of every human
being" -- not just those of whom we approve.  It would be so much easier
to love our neighbors as ourselves if we could just pick and choose them,
yet Jesus tells us that on Judgment Day will will be tested by how well we
treated those whom we deem the least among us.

That's just as difficult for me as a gay Christian as it is for straight
Christians for whom I am anathema.  I will be judged not by how nice I am
to those who are nice to me, but by how much I genuinely love those who
are not nice to me.  I would be unwise to pray to the Lord's Prayer unless
I am willing to have God forgive my sins exactly as I forgive those who
sin against me.  Jesus has put us all into this new bondage called 'love.'

What a strange religion ours is.  I rejoice to be your fellow pilgrim in
this holy journey.  May God give us all the grace to make this pilgrimage
with integrity.  Pray for me.  I will pray for you.