Happy birthday, Bishop Spong!

Our beloved bishop is 68 today.  I rejoice in his courage, in his faith
and in his faithfulness, in his intellect and in the challenge that he
gives to us all, in his love of Jesus the Christ, in his service to us in
this diocese and in the whole state of Christ's church.  When Bishop Spong
retires next January, the House of Bishops will take a quantum loss in
collective IQ.  He has published more books than most the other ordinaries
combined, and people actually read his books who don't have to.

(See http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/bprepcrd.html)

And what a good friend, one who is unafraid to be with people not like
himself.  I have seen him many an evening move quietly as servant, host,
co-chef, listener, among non-Christians.  I have ridden down Fifth Avenue
in the Gay Pride Parade with Christine and my bishop.   I have witnessed
first hand the healing power of his love for others.  I have experienced
it myself, as the prophet says, "full measure, pressed down and running
over."

Beloved bishop, I am so glad that you live and spread life and joy.  Happy
birthday!

Love, Lutibelle/Louie
Secretary of the Standing Committee

Louie Crew, Ph.D., D.D., Box 30, Nwk, NJ 07101 973-485-4503.
http://newark.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/lbg_edir.html "The best way to find out
about new research on issues of sexuality"--Chronicle of Higher Education