Book suggestion

Soul Satisfaction: Drawing Strength from Our Biblical Mothers and Sisters by
Elizabeth Rankin Geitz (Elizabeth is an Episcopal priest from the Diocese of
NJ. She is also the author of Gender and the Nicene Creed and Entertaining
Angels, also by Morehouse Publishing.)

"'What would it take for you to accept yourself as created in the image of
God?' Elizabeth Geitz asks, then takes us by the hand and introduces us to
energetic, creative, courageous, feisty, steady, heads-up women in the
Bible. This is not simply a pious meditation book. It's a manual for action
for women who want to make a difference in the world."
--Sister Helen Prejean
  Author of Dead Man Walking
  1998 Nobel Peace Prize Nominee

"Wisdom can be hard to come by for women in patriarchal organizations like
churches, but Geitz gives them reason to hope . . . She compares her search
to give women their due to a hunger, and her discoveries are a banquet."
--Star Ledger (Newark, New Jersey)

"Journey to Soul Satisfaction . . ."
--The Oregonian (Portland, Oregon)

"Provocative . . . offers women a new way into the rich nourishing wisdom of
a very old book . . .I'd never thought of (scripture) that way before."
--The Daily Record (Morristown, New Jersey)

"Insirational . . .offers encouragement and hope for women today."
--The Leaf Chronicle (Tennessee)

"Geitz's gentle meditations are insightful and fresh, and her simple, direct
questions could be transforming . . . an excellent book for group
discussions."
--Wichita Eagle (Kansas)

" . . .gives feminine images of God that are not commonly seen."
--Pike County Dispatch (Pennsylvania)

A rich feast of personal and challenging meditations . . . Women will likely
find these meditations to be encouraging, hopeful and affirming. However,
this is not for women only. Male readers will find much that is equally
supportive. Traditionalists (I would count myself as such) may at times feel
ill at ease when Geitz raises issues of inequality and sexism and employs
feminine images of God. However, our discomfort may simply be our own
blindness to the experiences of women in our culture.
     Soul Satisfaction indeed provides a rich feast. We as readers are
indebted to this gifted and scholarly author for inviting us to sit at the
table with her. She has served up some real soul food.
--The Living Church (Sept. 13, 1998)

"As a male I am much moved by the reflections which come forth in such short
but sound writings, where appropriate Biblical verses relate to many of
life's situations.  Soul Satisfaction is a healthy book full of affirmative
encouragement to women and supportive understandings for men. Readers will
discover the contents are strong, not syrupy; profound, not pious; and
realistic, not romantic."
--Harrison T. Simons, Manager, Education/Liturgy Resources, North Carolina