Speaking the Truth In Love: Louie Crew to Bishops Online

          Speaking the Truth In Love: Louie Crew to Bishops Online

   August 8, 1998

   To ECUSA Bishops Online:

   The Archbishop of Canterbury emphasized this week "What we must do is
   continue to listen to each other and the experience of homosexuals,
   while they must continue to listen to us."

   The Archbishop lies. He cannot continue what he has not done. Not
   until a photo opportunity at the Conference has Dr. Carey met with
   leaders of the lesbian and gay Anglicans. He made this same plea for
   time to listen when I questioned him at a Lay Leadership Conference in
   1991 (see Elizabeth Eisenstadt's account in "Affirming the Ministry of
   the Laity," Trinity News, Trinity Church, Wall Street, NYC, 39.3
   (Michaelmas 1992): 6-15.] He has repeatedly rebuffed all efforts that
   I and others have made to meet with him, even when those efforts were
   supported by my bishop and by my primate. Some of you were present as
   he heard me excoriated day after day at the Kanuga conference on
   evangelism in September 1995, and he spoke not a word.

   Lesbigay Christians have experienced insincere calls for dialogue
   before. General Conventions in 1982, 1985, and 1988 all promised
   dialogue as a substitute for action, and no dialogue occurred. Only in
   1991 did that check stop bouncing.

   Lesbigay Christians have listened faithfully to the Archbishop
   throughout his tenure. We listened in agony throughout the Lambeth
   conference, as we were mocked and abused. We saw how much you were
   committed to dialogue by the uninviting those of us whom you had asked
   to witness at the conference. Grave inhospitality!

   [INLINE] I call on you not to buy a single new sign saying "The
   Episcopal Church Welcomes You". That is now a lie. Say instead, "God
   welcomes everyone whom we cast out; we need you desperately to invite
   us to God's table."

   Lambeth was a spectacle of intolerance that will continue to damage
   our church far beyond the issue of gay and lesbian people.

   At Lambeth, you committed the entire Communion to listen. At your next
   House of Bishops meeting, you need to draft clear and responsible
   guidelines of how this part of the Communion will begin immediately to
   assure that the pledge to dialogue will be kept in good faith. Be sure
   to include articulate lesbigay Christians in your own processes. I
   urge you to revisit the O'Kelley Whitaker process with a view to
   making it available throughout the Communion for those who voted in
   good faith.

   We have experienced the Church's bad faith enough already.

   Lesbigay Anglicans the world over are not about to leave you. We love
   this church enough to expect better of it. We invite you to Eucharist.

   Love, Lutibelle of the Lambeth Lepers Belles/Louie, Secretary
   Standing Commission on Anglican and International Peace with Justice
   Concerns

     Louie Crew, English Dept., Rutgers, Newark, NJ 07102 973-485-4503
           Chair, Rutgers University Senate. Board of Governors.
                      http://newark.rutgers.edu/~lcrew

     * Return to Louie Crew's collection of materials on the Lambeth
       Conference.
     * Louie Crew's Anglican pages.
     * Louie Crew's home page.
     * Send mail to: lcrew@newark.rutgers.edu

   My site has been accessed [INLINE] times since February 14, 1996.

   This page was created with the help of HTM Led Pro