What Lambeth Means: One Gay Christian's Perspective

   [On the Integrity discussion list, a gay clergy friend asked for
   feedback about the kindly response that he had received from a clergy
   brother. That request promised this meditation, which may be of
   interest to a wider audience. -- L.]

   Jim, your friend reminds me of the many good white people who lived in
   Alabama during segregation. They too felt that issues of race were
   blown out of all proportion. They too responded kindly at the personal
   level to black persons whom they knew, and they too avoided getting
   involved in the more strident defenses white privilege. They rejected
   the virulent racism of the Klan and the White Citizens Council. Yet
   almost all of them pitied black persons, and many shared the common
   belief that blacks had experienced the curse of Ham. Only some great
   sin, they reasoned, could have caused God to set up the system so
   solidly against blacks. Of those who felt kindly towards blacks, few
   indeed would have been happy for a family member to marry a black
   person, lest the entire family inherit the curse.

   It is not surprising that your friend cannot imagine a happy gay
   person. Probably there is little you can do to convince him otherwise,
   especially if you try. His world has structured you and me as the
   victim, as surely as slavery and segregation victimized black folks.
   These systems assure that those who inherit white privilege or hetero
   privilege feel no need to take personal responsibility for blaming the
   victim, yet that is exactly what your friend is doing.

   Racism and heterosexism also succeed in assuring that many victims
   behave like victims. Your friend would probably understand the dynamic
   better if he stopped trying to imagine what it would be like to be gay
   and imagined instead what it would be like to be straight in a world
   which lesbigay orientation dominated as unrelentingly as heterosexism
   dominates ours. Would he take the risk to love the forbidden
   heterosexual object if all who knew and loved him considered such
   attractions unnatural, sick, or sinful? And even if he did take the
   risk, going to the few places where heterosexuals were allowed to
   congregate (never at a church, mind you), would he altogether escape
   internalizing that he had done something rather filthy? Would he dare
   to tell those in the controlling majority of these assignations, or
   would he remain severely closeted? Would his heterosexuality be, as he
   was taught, only something he did in the dark, or would he integrate
   it in a healthy and open way with all else that he did, even though to
   do so were to live 'in your face' to his family, church, and culture?

   For me the greater wonder is not that many lesbigays live down to the
   culture's expectations, but rather that so many of us manage -- by the
   grace of God and the love of one another -- to be quite strong and
   healthy while living in a world-wide hetero-dictatorship.

   Make no mistake about it, for every strong African American you meet
   -- and my African American colleagues for the most part seem much
   stronger than those of us who did not have to jump through the hoops
   they did -- there are a dozen more who were permanently damaged by
   systemic white privilege.

   That's the way systems work. Racism and heterosexism are efficacious.
   Otherwise those who benefit from them would have abandoned them of
   their own accord.

   Lambeth manifests hetero privilege quite boldly, with few (but
   precious) apologies. 1998 is the Summer of Virtue. His voice, which
   heretofore has made our enemies sometimes wince, is THE voice of the
   Lambeth Conference. His point of view is at the heart of what the
   press has reported. His point of view closely mirrors that of the
   majority of the bishops assembled. While David is more candid and less
   diplomatic, the archbishop has said little that differs in substance.
   It is not surprising that Kim reports that Andrew Carey hangs on David
   Virtue's every word.

   It is extremely important that we not try to determine God's response
   to us by looking to such systems or to those still invested in the
   privileges of those systems. God has come to lesbigays directly with
   immeasurable love in our Lord Jesus Christ. We are here not to receive
   that light from Lambeth, but to bear witness to that light in lives of
   service even to these who in ignorance style themselves as our
   enemies. They need our love now as never before, and our patience. Not
   shuffling, not obsequiousness, but our understanding -- understanding
   which we can manifest only as a spiritual gift. Expect that gift. If
   it is slow in coming, wait patiently for it.

   During Lambeth, many bishops who have dealt kindly towards lesbigays
   have been re-baptized, by immersion, in older, more familiar
   homophobic support systems, as have all who have watched the
   Conference from near and far. Do not be surprised if many begin to
   look at us through those lens. Do not be surprised if they begin to
   define us by any failings we manifest. That's the way that
   pre-judgment operates. Every pinkie and every hint of a lithp will for
   a while be suspect in males not the master of a female, as will every
   strong voice of assertion in a female not subservient to a male.

   From a win-or-lose point of view, Lambeth is David Virtue's. Shield
   the joyous during its fleeting glory. From God's point of view,
   Lambeth demonstrates an enormous Gospel opportunity, for God loves
   heterosexuals exactly as much as God loves us. Pray that they will
   learn to hear the Good News in that.

   Meanwhile, love one another. Tend the weak. Care for our sick. Nurture
   the young. Neglect not the poor. And as you look your enemies in the
   eye, smile gently and forgive them even before they ask.

     * Return to Louie Crew's collection of materials on the Lambeth
       Conference at

         http://newark.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/rel2.html#lambeth

     * Louie Crew's Anglican pages.
     * Louie Crew's home page.
     * Send mail to: lcrew@newark.rutgers.edu

   My site has been accessed 90,631 times since February 14, 1996.