[edot] (Spong-Lee)

Mark, Elaine,

Why do I get the impression that you read Bishop Peter John Lee and Bishop
Jack Spong's joint document with judgments in place before the eye met the
text?

Theirs is not the document which I wish could be written, nor the document
either of these wish could be written:  it is a document which they
believe and many hope will help to keep us all in this same communion
while God continues to work with us.  I am enormously grateful that two
very bright bishops so different in their perspective would follow the
Archbishop's counsel and draft a document that they can both live with.

Elaine, my bishop is not Satan, but a mere mortal.  You diminish your
moral authority when you disrespect your baptismal covenant by demonizing
him.

Mark, do you really want to muzzle Gamaliel? If all had reached your
conclusions or mine, all would agree with your strident call for judgment.
Many thoughtful Christians disagree with you, as many more disagree with
me.  Is there not room for us to remain in this communion together?  I am
not calling for your removal as evil from the Body of Christ: I do not
view you as evil.  You might be right and I might be wrong:  the one
certainty is that God loves us both and wants us to treat each other
lovingly.

Only in comic books does evil have a specific face or a specific address.
In real life, evil is all too often in my face and at my address, but not
permanently.  Evil is never who I am:  I am a child of God.  God has not
finished with any of us yet.  Pray for me, as I will for you.

Joy to you and peace!
Lutibelle/Louie
HoD

      Louie Crew, English Dept., Rutgers, Newark, NJ 07102 973-485-4503
           Chair, Rutgers University Senate.  Board of Governors.
                        http://newark.rutgers.edu/~lcrew

  There are  14  days until the election of the Bishop Coadjutor of Newark.