Re: [HoB/D] ECUSA Priests Born in Asia

> Why, Louie?  I know you have a love of statistics, but I'm just
> wondering why you're compiling this particular list.

Thanks for asking.

I am compiling it because a Japanese friend asked me to when she visited
my Directory of ECUSA's Black Clergy.  She said, 'We need the same
resource."  Others have asked as well.

I compile such lists to celebrate and promote the glorious diversity of
ECUSA.  It's the same reason that I choose to be a member of Newark's most
diverse parish.  I am quite intentional about that, lest the Episcopal
Church be the most monochromatic, one-dimensional culture that I
experience.  It is that for many people, to their great loss.

My home sits in Orange Park.  I can't walk through the park without
hearing at least four languages.  What a treat!  The same is true of
riding the elevators to my floor.  Every race is represented in the 295
families that own homes in our building.  The Newark campus of Rutgers has
been declared four years in a row by NEWSWEEK as the most diverse campus
in the nation.  My family is not of one color.

> Perhaps it's just me, but I think there comes a point where categorizing
> people by ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, order, etc. only
> exacerbates differences that serve to keep us apart rather than bring us
> together as one in the Body of Christ.

It can be a form of annihilation to tell another person 'I don't see your
differences; they are unimportant.' That in effect wipes out everything
about that person that is not like the person observing.  That can isolate
two from each other.  It can even become a form of idolatry.  Imagine
living in Beijing as the only American and having no one notice or enjoy
anything about you except that which matched Chinese reality.

I am so glad I was not treated that way when I lived in Beijing and Hong
Kong for three years, or when I taught on African American campuses for
nine, or when I lived with Native Americans for three summers.  Those
years were, and continue to be, sources of great delight and sometimes
wonder, for me and for my friends.  I am enormously blessed.  How much
poorer I would be without these experiences!

As in a marriage, we sometimes don't know what closeness means until we
are fully aware of the difference that closeness lovingly embraces.

Looking at and celebrating difference should not separate us; it can be a
marvelous way to affirm God, Who also is not like us until we enlarge our
sense of 'us' to include in all their diversity everyone whom God has
made.

Perhaps it's just me.

Joy!
L., L2 Nwk