[HoB/D] Fraud in the Misappropriation of ECUSA Funds Given in Mexico

Major fraud has been documented by an audit in the Anglican Church of two
dioceses in Mexico (Northern and Western Mexico).  Those at the scene tell
me that the amounts abused run close to US$3 million.  The audit was
requested by the Grants Office of Episcopal Church Center.

As I understand it, in response to agreements made when the Mexican
dioceses left ECUSA in 1997 to form an autonomous province, ECUSA provides
about 60% of the operating costs of the Anglicans in Mexico.  Audits of
two of the dioceses there have documented that over two-thirds of the
funds ECUSA has sent sent since 2000 have been misappropriated.  The two
culprits are both bishops, one of them the primate of all Mexico.
Mexican whistle-blowers, like Father Smith (below) and like the Mexican
provincial treasurer, are now requiring audits of earlier periods as well.

I have asked ECUSA's treasurer Ralph O'Hara to bring relevant numbers with
him to our Executive Council meeting next week, and Patrick Mauny, ECUSA's
Officer for Global Relations, will be able to bring us up to date as well.

I share Father Smith's correspondence below with his permission.  He has
been an important whistle-blower in the dreadful abuse of funds now
documented by an audit done in the two diocese of Mexico at the request of
the auditing department at the Episcopal Church Center.

ECUSA's recent history of fraud during Ellen Cook's tenure as our
Treasurer reminds us that sin is no respecter of persons.  It is important
to maintain and enforce strong measures of accountability.

As bad as the Mexican case is, it does seem to be a case where the system
worked, at least after the damage, when the audits have discovered abuse.
I understand that special tribute is due to grants auditor Jose Gonzalez
at the Church Center.  I agree with Father Smith that we need much tighter
measures of accountability in place to prevent and more quickly detect
such abuse.  Long gone are the days when bishops are to be held
accountable to God alone.

Lutibelle/Louie