RE: [HoB/D] election or discernment?

> But, that wasn't my point. My point was to highlight the language we are
> using...and to recognize that we make the theological claim to listen to
> the HS. And, I do acknowledge the subsidiary point that the HS may be most
> at work in trying to make the best of our very flawed processes.

And my point is that it is ludicrous to gag the Holy Spirit as B033 does and
then have the audacity to say that we are listening to the Holy Spirit.
That's like telling Samuel he must choose only from the offspring Jesse
first presents.  That's like Samuel thinking he should only ask for sons!
How much different Judeo-Christian history might have been if Samuel had
asked to see Jesse's daughters.

Don't blame on the Holy Spirit all our manipulations of the process.  Don't
blame on the Holy Spirit our violation of our own canons that guarantee
access.

Fortunately God expects us to collaborate with Jesus in the business of
redemption. That is certainly the calling of the new Bishop of Chicago and
the calling of the rest of us.  From what I have read of the bishop-elect, I
am impressed with his gifts to meet such a challenge.  I pray that I can
meet the challenge too.

I'd love to think that all the doors that open for me have nothing to do
with my being white or being male, that those doors open for me only because
of my merit; but I'd have to be one dumb white man not to have noticed the
truth while married to an enormously talented black husband for 33 years.
Shame and embarrassment often accompany one's first awareness of inherited
ill-got privilege, but shame and embarrassment are self-serving and
debilitating.  They delay our getting on with the hard work of redemption.

> It's not about winning or losing.

Of course not.  It's about solidarity with ALL.  Jesus' prayer is: "That you
all may be one."

http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew