Church of Nigeria blames the Archbishop of Canterbury for counterstating Bishop Orama

Bishops of the Anglican Communion:

The Rev. George Conger reports that Archbishop Peter Akinola's press
person is in a huff with the Archbishop of Canterbury for believing a
UPI report that Nigerian Bishop Orama said, "Homosexuality and
lesbianism are inhuman. Those who practice them are insane, satanic
and are not fit to live because they are rebels to God's purpose for
man." -- see http://tinyurl.com/253tcb

What are the exact words Bishop Orama said? Is there no manuscript
available of the Archbishop's precise remarks?

What motive would the reporter have to make up such statements,
especially since there were so many present who could say that the
report was false?

How free are reporters in Nigeria to document unpopular stories?
Would the reporter lose his job if he held to what he had heard?

Why have we heard no outcry from those present? Did they hear what was
reported, and are they afraid to get their bishop in further trouble?
Or were they in easy agreement with the hatred?

Why has Bishop Orama not spoken directly to the world, or at least
directly to the Archbishop of Canterbury? Why has Bishop Orama not
spoken directly with lesbians and gays?

Why has Archbishop Akinola relied solely on his press agent? Is he
afraid to speak out himself lest the original report prove true?

The standard of Christian discourse is to speak the truth to one
another in love. This entire episode is very shady. It's one thing to
hate; it's quite another not to have the spiritual courage to own up
to the hated.

I would welcome an opportunity to meet face to face with Bishop Orama
and Archbishop Akinola about this matter. I hope that I would be able
to give much better News.

Louie Crew

Chair of the Newark deputation to General Convention

http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew