Re: In an extremely unfriendly diocese, how and why?)

  • Subject: Re: In an extremely unfriendly diocese, how and why?)
  • From: Louie Crew <lcrew@ANDROMEDA.RUTGERS.EDU>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 13:14:33 -0400

> What do you say to a bishop who wants to turn the clock back to 381?

Admittedly with an important twist, I read the same parable of wheat and
tares as he does, seeing our message as bringing wheat, his as bringing
weeds.  I come to the same conclusion he does, that we who disagree should
continue to live together in the same field and leave the sorting to God.  I
think I am right; he thinks he is right.  Only God knows.

Your bishop has always treated me personally with kindness.  I hope I have
always treated him with kindness.

I came to have much more peace when I realized that I am not responsible for
converting those with whom I disagree.  I don't like it when someone tells
me, "Louie, I love you, but...."  I figure those who disagree with me would
not appreciate my putting conditions on my love of them either, as in
"+*******, I love you, but...."

[Your bishop] and I both are free to speak our own points of view clearly and
forcefully.  Neither is a wimp.  Neither is likely to back down from
convictions long and sincerely held.  Nor are we stuck.  Both of us remains
willing to grow.