RE: Puzzled and seeking advice on bible explanation on homosexuality

  • Subject: RE: Puzzled and seeking advice on bible explanation on homosexuality
  • From: Louie Crew <lcrew@andromeda.rutgers.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 10:30:00 -0400

The Word of God is a person, Jesus, to whom the bible bears
witness but does not replace or restrain.

When Jesus encountered conflicting claims in Scripture, he insisted
that all the law and all the prophets hang on the first two
commandments:  1) Love God with all your mind [the forgotten part],
heart, soul, and strength; 2) love your neighbor as you love
yourself.

 It is by God's grace, not by proof-texts, that we are redeemed.  If
you think Scripture is hard on us in the 6 bible bullets, look at how
hard scripture is on prostitutes, mix breeds, drunkards,
thieves......    Then look at how generous Jesus was towards them,
and how hard Jesus was towards the self-righteous.

And yes, it is important that we know how to respond to the few bible
texts that purport to talk about us.  One of the most demanding
penalties of being lesbian or gay and Christian is that we actually
have to read Leviticus!   Be sure to read every word of it, and
you'll understand why so few others read it.

I have collected links to numerous resources regarding the bible and
homosexuality, at
http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/argu.html#bible.  I hope you find
those helpful.

Louie Crew, 377 S. Harrison St., 12d, East Orange, NJ 07018.
973-395-1068
http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew