The Bible reads like it is describing the world you know immmediately

Sent: Sunday, May 27, 2007 7:45 AM

> One big reason for that is the biblical world  makes sense
> [if you're in the Global South]; the Bible reads like it is
> describing the world you know immediately.

++Peter Akinola is right.  The same is true for most lgbts.  The
blood-letting rages of God and the people in the Hebrew scriptures we
witness in much of Christendom toward us.  We lgbts also know how to
appropriate the Exodus and deliverance into a much safer land, flowing with
milk and honey.

++Peter Akinola is right to ask us to look back just one generation to the
experiences of Africans regarding "nomadism, polygamy, and blood sacrifice."
Imagine for a moment what it was like to be lgbt in 1954 when I entered
Baylor, to be lgbt and Episcopalian in 1974 when I founded Integrity.
Earlier in 1974 a bishop from Florida had shocked the entire House of
Bishops by daring to mention the unmentionable and proclaimed on the floor
of the house, "I found a queer priest in my diocese and what are we supposed
to do to prevent this?"

The House of Bishops did what it is wont to do for every unpleasantness: it
created a task force, and it named it as only Anglicans could do, "The House
of Bishops Task Force on Homophiles and the Ministry"!  HOMOPHILES -- how
much more Episcopalian could they have been.

Looking back from this distance, I respect far more the candor of the less
couth bishop from Florida.

In 1964 if heterosexual and divorced, you could not remain active as a
priest in most dioceses.  In 1974 if you were open about being queer, you
did not get or keep a job as a priest.

The same was true in most of academia.  I fully expected to be fired when in
the same month that I founded Integrity I co-edited COLLEGE ENGLISH for a
special issue on the HOMOSEXUAL IMAGINATION -- the first major academic
journal ever to address lgbt issues edited by lgbt persons.  It took me
months to realize that the college was not going to issue the letter of
dismissal.  It took my parish across the street from my office, to do that,
with the vestry sending me a letter to "find some other place to worship."
When I held the letter to the light, I could see the water mark of the seal
of the State of Georgia: they had stolen college stationery to use in
writing the letter.

For lgbt people, the woman at the well is not a quaint story of middle class
people dressed in bath robes for a church pageant:  she is our sister, and
she is asking Jesus the questions we have asked the Episcopal Church about
where we might worship and with what priestly leadership. And with us as
with her, we find that Jesus is much less concerned about our sins than
about our thirst.

For lgbt people, the centurion's plea for his boyfriend servant is
understandable in our experience as we have watched our beloveds go sick,
even die, and we've not had the access to help them that the their
heterosexual "family" has had, family that in many instances would not even
speak to them, but are all too happy to come in and seize all that we have
together accumulated.  We understand well why the centurion did not want to
risk having the Jewish healer come under his roof and see the real love
behind the plea:  "Say but the word only and my 'servant' shall be healed."
We know in our own experience the tyranny of changing the pronouns.

I'd love a chance to sit down with my brother ++Peter and to share
experiences about this marvelous savior of both of us, the savior of
absolutely everybody.

Louie/Lutibelle, Newark deputy

Louie Crew, 377 S. Harrison, 12D, East Orange, NJ 07018