[LS] Be Tacky for Jesus!

Today is Liberace's birthday.   I think I should wear the  huge silver
Tibetan earring that a colleague in Hong Kong gave me,  but I would have to
pierce my lobe again, this time with wire the thickness of a coat hanger.

Whatever, I'll do something tacky, tacky to celebrate.  Perhaps I'll play
Pyotr Ilyich's "Francesca da Rimini" full blast, and his 6th, "the
Homosexual Symphony" sipping lemonade in the hot afternoon.

Queans of the world, unite!

Lutibelle of the Alabama Belles/Louie

http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew

              Fay

My one earring stores my powers.

It charms my lover into bed.
Worn aisle-side on buses and trains,
     it reserves me a double seat
     until all others are filled.
On campus it keeps me off all
     but the most enlightened committees.
It is 99% foolproof in protecting me
     from wasting time on racists.
At times it has made otherwise sane folks
     dangle from dormitory windows to giggle,
     "Where's your husband?"
Worn with a cap and gown, it wards off
     any threat of Respectability.
In class, it assures that students question
     what I say and not vainly agree
     because of who said it.
In church, it has made stranger priests
     spill me a double portion of the Mass....

When I take it off, people take me
     for any other mortal.

            -- Louie Crew, 1980

Has appeared:

Feh!  Journal of Odious Poetry  6 (June 1989), n.p.

Men Freeing Men.  Anthology edited by Francis Baumli.  Jersey City:  New
Atlantis Press, 1985.  Page 119.

Cat's Eye 3 (1981): 16.

Mouth of the Dragon 2.1 (1979): 44.