Re: [HoB/D] ABC re being a bishop

**********,

I constantly hear people say that being a parent means that they cannot take
the risks they took when they were single, that being a priest means that
they cannot take the risks they took when they were lay and had not vowed to
obey their bishop, that being a bishop means that they cannot take the risks
they took when....

It is all too easy to mask cowardice as a sacrifice of personal conviction
for a "greater good."  Color me unimpressed.

Had my own father not constantly taken risks, I might have grown up to be
equally fearful.  Watching him take risks, even when those risks frightened
or embarrassed me, taught me that the world does not fall apart when one
stands alone with conviction.  The power of that witness increases with the
risks that attend it.

Louie, Newark deputy

      Louie Crew, 377 S. Harrison, 12D, E. Orange, NJ 07018 973-395-1068
                        http://newark.rutgers.edu/~lcrew