Re: Imus please explain

Lots of people complain that Imus was only doing what thousands of others
do.  In a sense yes, but few have his powerful pulpit, few have such a
command of air space.   Are his bosses somewhat hypocritical for firing him
for doing what they hired to do?  Yes.  They are cutting their losses, as
the advertisers were already withdrawing.

Those who picketed restaurants in the 60s were singling out restaurants as
targets easier than the more formidable oppressors, like Coca-Cola.  Their
strategy worked.  Restaurants were integrated, and Coca-Cola was not too far
behind.

I hope that the firing of Imus signals the end of an era for use of the
public airways to degrade black people.  Are others still degraded?  Of
course.  Harvey Fairstein has noted that gays continue to be a group one can
degrade with impunity.  I rejoice in the battle won, and rejoice that we'll
take on the next battles with conviction and cogency.