Re: Cox leaves for Southern Cone

> Thanks for the info. Using retired bishops is a rather clever scheme,
> then. Saves quite a lot of money.

All sides use retired bishops to promote their points of view. There is
nothing intrinsically wrong with dissent, and I need to honor those who
dissent from my views if I expect them to honor my dissent.

I rejoice that my former bishop, +Jack Spong, goes, often at the invitation
of Unitarians or other denominations, often at the invitation of secular
institutions, into some of the most hostile parts of the Anglican world to
bring news so genuinely good that he stirs up protests from the local
Anglican leadership.  As an Alabama native, I remember with great joy how
+Henry Parsley, Bishop of Alabama, protested loudly when a secular group
joined with Integrity/Alabama to bring +Jack to Birmingham, Alabama in 2002.
The louder +Henry protested and stressed that +Jack could not meet on
property of the diocese, the more the media paid attention, and almost all
of the clergy and lay leadership showed up for +Jack's lecture at the
University of Alabama/Bham and for a luncheon at a swanky local country
club.

There is an important difference in the way Bishops Spong and Cox have
exercised their dissent within dioceses of TEC: Bishop Spong performed no
'episcopal acts' (confirmation, ordination....) and did not use church
property.  But Bishop Cox has performed 'episcopal acts.' That's why
presentments might stick when brought against him and would never stick when
brought against Bishop Spong.