Re: [HoB/D] Update on the Fast from Weddings

Our diocese considered similar action through a resolution our deputation
brought to our convention in January.  Many who have supported lgbts
argued -- persuasively, I thought -- that The Episcopal Church would lose
its ministry to the unchurched if we were to mandate a fast for them.

I spoke as strongly in support of the resolution (below) as possible, yet I
had mixed feelings after hearing the good arguments against the resolution.
The convention resoundingly defeated it, and by the time of the vote, I too
voted against it.

When I taught in Beijing (1983-84), I was struck by the widespread tendency
to preach that everybody should be equally poor.  I prefer to work for
everyone to be equally rich.  Saying 'you can't have yours until I have
mine' is ungenerous.

But, as I said, I can argue for fasting from all church marriages or going
out of the marriage business altogether; I'm prepared to live in the tension
of not knowing for sure what my 'side' is.  I rejoice to be a part of a
church that does not insist on closure and does not press that only one side
knows the truth.

Louie, Newark deputy

http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew

Resolution 2007-07 at Convention of Diocese of Newark, 2007: (defeated)
THE ROLE OF THE CLERGY ~V CEREMONY OF MARRIAGE OR BLESSING OF A CIVIL UNION?

RESOLVED, That this 133rd Convention of the Episcopal Diocese of Newark
expresses its belief that the institution of marriage is a civil event which
should be presided over by an agent of the State and that the members of the
clergy should be responsible solely for the blessing of the union as a holy
act and thus no longer be used as an agent of the State for any kind of
civil marriage or civil union.

Submitted by General Convention Deputies: Ms. Marge Christie, Christ Church,
Ridgewood; The Rev. Elizabeth Kaeton, St. Paul~Rs, Chatham; The Rev. Diana
Clark, St. John~Rs, Montclair; Dr. Louie Crew, Grace, Newark; Ms. Martha
Gardner, St. George~Rs, Ridgewood; Ms. Lyn Headley-Deavours, St. Andrew &
Holy Communion, South Orange

SUPPORTING INFORMATION

The blessing of a civil marriage or union is a more appropriate role for the
clergy. In many parts of the world that is precisely the role the clergy
play.