[HoB/D] Tick, tock, tick, tock

What is the effect of a Lent of indefinite length in saying to potential
lgbt nominees for bishop:  "We have no need of you"?

As of today, of 308 living TEC bishops:

50.7 was the average age upon consecration.
50 was the median age upon consecration.
78.6% were 45-57 when consecrated.

I selected 25 'out' lbgt clergy who currently exercise leadership in TEC,
beginning with the 17 who agreed to allow themselves to be listed publicly
as lgbt deputies to GC in 2006 (see
http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/gay2006.html). I added 8 more, who are
sufficiently well known that I do not need to explain why they would be of
interest to committees willing to consider lgbt nominees:

Very Rev. Cynthia Black
The Rev. Michael Hopkins
Very Rev. Jeffrey John
Very Rev. Tracey Lind
The Rev. David Norgard
The Rev. Bonnie Perry
The Rev. Susan Russell
Very Rev. Robert Taylor

Of these 25:
51.24 is the average age today, 2/24/2007
52.71 is the median age
76% are between 45-57.

Suppose in 1964 TEC had said to Paul Moore, Jr., then only 44, it is
interesting what you have done to help the Episcopal Church deal with urban
poverty and racism, but your manner of life is so distressing to many here
and in the Communion that we must ask you, as OUR act of indefinite Lent, to
step aside and not be considered bishop material until the rest of the
Anglican Communion has reached a consensus on these sensitive matters.

Suppose TEC had said the same thing to Paul Moore, Jr.'s  colleague Kilmer
Myers, consecrated in 1966 at 50.

Suppose TEC had said to Barbara Harris in 1989, when she was 59, "Wait a few
more years.  You're going to upset the Anglican Communion big time.  God
wants us to be unified with all those people who disapprove of you. And
don't take it personally."

By what authority do we tell the Holy Spirit whom the Holy Spirit may or may
not call?

By what authority do we allow Jesse to reply to Samuel, "You must choose
from my tough boys.  I will not bring my other child who is meekly tending
the sheep"?

Rethink.  Rethink.  The kingdom of heaven will not be delayed.

Louie, Newark deputy

http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew