We hold these truths to be self-evident

*******, ********,

Thanks to you both for your exchanges.

There are several members of my family for whom it is still not self-evident
that blacks are fully equal to whites.  These family members love their own,
love the neighbors segregated with them, and love their Baptist church, the
same church that nurtured me, that taught me even in the 1930s not only
"Jesus loves me" but also "Jesus loves the little children, all the children
of the world."

Ernest's color was a far bigger barrier for my family than our sexual
orientation when he and I chose to make our life commitments to each other
33 years ago.  Had we chosen to wait for my family's seal of approval, we
would very likely still be waiting for a few hold-outs. It was my family's
choice not to welcome him into the family.  We would never exclude them.
Nor have we ceased to respect their dignity and to care for them.

Throughout our nation, we no longer require an anti-integration speaker to
balance every panel on which a person of color appears, regardless of how
much that might accommodate the members of my family who are still
unpersuaded.  Few panels are even about race, but all racially integrated
panels are about race for several members of my family, and for thousands of
other Americans.

My English classes were never about homosexuality, but in almost every one
at least one or two students monitored my pinky and my pitch more than my
efforts to open them to the treasures of their own minds.

In our common life as the Church it is important to heed Gamaliel's
injunction to wait and see.  It is just as important to to discern when
Gamaliel has died, to discern not just his rigor mortis but also his liver
mortis.

God bless all spiritual forensics and give us patience with those who do not
reach the same conclusions.

Louie, Newark deputy

Louie Crew, 377 S. Harrison St., 12D, E. Orange, NJ 07018 973-395-1068
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2w4g4/pew_cd.html Lutibelle's Pew on CD