Re: [HoB/D] A caution against triumphalism

Thanks, ******.  I agree with you completely.

I felt I needed to take responsibility for the amount of toxicity to which I
submit myself, so I went offline for five days last week and flew with
Ernest on one of his working flights for my first trip ever to Northern
Ireland.

While there, we took the much touted 'black taxi' tour of Belfast. An
informed and somewhat passionate driver took us to see what he considered
the main sites. We viewed the protestant 'art,' went through the wall to the
other neighborhood, and then viewed the Catholic art; but had the driver not
told which was which, we would not have been able to tell the difference.
The driver did an excellent job of hiding which side he is on.

It was like observing limbs bared to show the 'masterpieces' of a tattoo
artist, but in this instance, the tattoos are murals painted by street
artists to commemorate the thugs of the neighborhood who have fallen in
skirmishes with the thugs of the rival neighborhood.

We saw none of the vitality nor the museums and theaters that we have
enjoyed on numerous trips to Dublin. Aside from the abandoned yard where the
Titanic was built, Belfast had little more to show for itself.

Thus I never got very far away from toxicity.  It is not just in Tanzania.

We must take responsibility not to contribute to the toxicity and not to
absorb any of it willfully.  That's why ashes will be imposed tomorrow.
That's why we have altars in our churches.

Louie
Newark deputation

      Louie Crew, 377 S. Harrison, 12D, E. Orange, NJ 07018 973-395-1068
                        http://newark.rutgers.edu/~lcrew