Your resolution 7 for the Convention of the Diocese of Easton

Gentle Nathaniel+,

I urge you to withdraw Resolution 7 which you have submitted for your
diocesan convention on February 23-24, or if unable to do that, to speak in
opposition to your own resolution when it comes before convention.

----

Resolution 7, Regarding B033

WHEREAS, The 75th General Convention adopted Resolution B033 [see the text
at http://gc2006.org/legislation/view_leg_detail.aspx?id=433&type=CURRENT];
and

WHEREAS, Our Bishop, at least three of our four clergy Deputies, and at
least three of our four lay Deputies representing the Diocese of Easton
voted in favor of Resolution B033; now, therefore, be it

RESOLVED, That this 139th Convention of the Diocese of Easton stand with our
Bishop and our Deputies and join them in calling upon our Standing Committee
"to exercise restraint by not consenting to the consecration of any
candidate to the episcopate whose manner of life presents a challenge to the
wider church."

Submitted by:  The Rev. Nathaniel W. Pierce, St. Philip's Church, Quantico

-----

In the yard of my grammar school in Alabama over 60 years ago this was
called "piling on."  Piling on never serves to end the down, but to maim the
one already tackled.

Your bishop and your deputies voted their own conscience in good faith, and
surely they do not require your resolution to achieve what you seek for the
Diocese of Easton.  There is no groundswell of local opposition to their
vote.  The only effect of your resolution is to bring pain to lesbians and
gays in your diocese and to those of us who are your friends elsewhere, and
at no risk to you whatsoever.

As you well know, many in the Communion are already parsing B033
maliciously.  At least 20 primates have expressed opposition to our own
primate not because she is a female, but because in her manner of life she
supports people who are anathema to them.

Your own manner of life in opposing war and standing for peace presents a
strong challenge to the wider church, and I respect you for it.

Any Christian whose manner of life does not present a challenge to the wider
church is failing as a Christian.

But of course we know that B033 did not say what it really meant, and you do
not help matters by increasing its volume without increasing its clarity.

Faithfully,
Louie
Chair of the Newark Deputation, queer for Christ's sake

http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew