Only in a dead religion does "orthodoxy" trump prophecy.

> If we are committed, in short, to a community that still wishes to call
> Scripture God's word, and that, say, is broadly orthodox in the creedal
> sense, then some attempts to exegete the "spirit" of Scripture will be
> more succesful than others

Those who wanted to stone the woman taken in adultery were as orthodox as
possible and thoroughly creedal in the context of the covenant. Yet Jesus
went outside Scripture to say sarcastically, "Go for it. Let the one of you
without sin cast the first stone."

If you look at the lives of slaves in the U.S., would you have to read a
book to decide that slavery was wrong?

It seems to me that it is not the abolitionists who must justify themselves
but those who would use any book to justify buying and selling people.

******, I am intrigued by Mark Noll's argument, and by William Webb's
(published by Intervarsity no less!), but I continue to wonder why so many
people find it difficult to prophesy, to call evil evil. It's not rocket
science.   It doesn't require IQ points:  it requires a heart.

It is spiritually dangerous to expect to find the word of God only in a
book, not in the person Jesus.  We have access to Jesus right now -- in
the least among us.  I did not make up the Judgment criteria, but I do
know what they are, and find them as formidable as anyone else.

A colleague of mine is a psychologist and one of the most gracious,
life-affirming people I have ever met.  She was brought up in the Church of
Christ.  Her family felt music in church was of the devil.
They felt that anything that was pleasant must be evil.

"How did you ever rewire all those circuits?" I asked her once.

"I didn't," she replied.  "I walked into another room."

The HoB/D listserve is certainly not that other room.  As regularly as clock
work, all the old arguments regarding gays and scripture are rehashed here
season after season, and it seems to make no difference that lesbian and gay
colleagues are here.  In the segregated South where I grew up only virulent
white folks would talk against Negroes while servants were in the room.

The hen said to the pig, "Let's make an offering for Farmer HoBD's
breakfast."  The pig replied, "What for you is an offering is for me a
sacrifice."

> What you have said here--esp. in your fourth paragraph--is helpful, and
> gets at some of the deep theological and scriptural challenges that are
> still before us.

I'm seventy years old.  In two days Ernest and I will begin our 34th year of
marriage before God, before our neighbors, before the Church.

Get over it.  Get a life.  Walk into a new room with us.

Why is argument so much more appealing?

God won't wait on the church to get it right.  If God can reach Parliament
or a legislature first, God will.   And you'll wonder why young people think
orthodoxy as out of date as the Victorian buildings we spend so much of our
time and energy heating as if we can trap God in them.

Louie
Newark deputy