Squinting in the fiery furnace

I learned long time ago that if you squint while in a fiery furnace, you are
more likely to notice Who else is in there with you.   Look whom God sent
this time.  What great spiritual asbestoswear for ++Katharine as she
prepares her wardrobe for Tanzania.

http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew

Discrimination against gay people is like apartheid, says Tutu
30/01/07
Episcopal News Service, USA and Ekklesia

Desmond Tutu, Nobel Peace Prize Laureate and former Anglican Archbishop of
Cape Town, has warned that an unhealthy obsession with homosexuality means
African churches risk ignoring real problems facing the continent ~V and has
added that the mistreatment of lesbian gay people is like apartheid.

"I am deeply, deeply distressed that in the face of the most horrendous
problems - we've got poverty, we've got conflict and war, we've got
HIV/AIDS - and what do we concentrate on? We concentrate on what you are
doing in bed," Tutu told journalists in Nairobi towards the end of the World
Social Forum (WSF) last week.

During WSF, a gathering of grassroots justice and peace activists, gay
people and their supporters took many Kenyans by surprise when they marched
through Nairobi's streets clad in black T-shirts proclaiming: "We are here,
we are queer and we are proud."

Archbishop Tutu likened discrimination against homosexuals to that faced by
black people under South Africa's racist apartheid policies.

"To penalise someone because of their sexual orientation is like what used
to happen to us; to be penalised for something which we could do nothing
[about] - our ethnicity, our race," said Tutu. "I would find it quite
unacceptable to condemn, persecute a minority that has already been
persecuted."

Differences over homosexuality have threatened to tear apart the worldwide
Anglican Communion, with some dioceses cutting links with the Episcopal
Church in the USA over the issue.

But three days after the end of the WSF, which had a strong presence of
Christian groups, the Rev Samuel Njoroge of the Anglican Church in Kenya,
said he hoped greater tolerance from Christian leaders could win back
homosexuals who may have left the Church.

"We need to re-examine our doctrine on sexual matters," he told Ecumenical
News International on 29 January 2007. "We have to find how we approach the
issue, but not throw them [homosexuals] out. As pastors, we are supposed to
minister to the good, bad and ugly."
Kenyan Muslims had reacted sharply to the highly visible presence of
homosexuals at the World Social Forum event, with Sheikh Mohammed Dor, the
leader of the Islamic Preachers of Kenya demanding that the government crack
down on them.