African Church Leader Warns of `Disease' of Pentecostalism (RNS)

It's one thing to want to be on God's side, quite another to assume that God
is on my side.

Prayer can be dangerous.

In 1954 as a freshman at Baylor studying for the Baptist ministry, the
air-conditioning and the stillness drew me often to the prayer chapel in the
Tidwell Bible Building.  Few came there, perhaps because they even had
kneelers, if memory serves me well, and those would certainly have been
considered too 'catholic' or Episcopal.   Yet one other guy, named 'Don,'
was there every time I went, and he often prostrated himself on the floor
and moaned a lot.  He'd be there when I arrived; he'd be there when I left
and hour or so later.

To help with his education expenses, Don worked in the student cafeteria.
One day we saw him with what could no longer be taken as a few days extra
growth, but clearly a new beard,  a very ugly new beard.  In 1954, in
Baptist country, no one grew beards. Don's was splotchy, with patches of no
growth at all, and patches of heavy growth, all very visible with his raven
black hair. One of the 'co-eds' (as women were known in those days) ahead of
me in the line for dinner asked Don why he was growing it.  "God told me
to," he replied.

That set a buzz all over campus, as Don apparently made the same point to
many.  The next day I decided to stay next to the chapel after I had
finished my own prayers, and wait for Don to finish.  I knew he had to pass
by me on his way to work at the cafeteria.  When he did, I asked him  "How
did God tell you?"

"Well, I made a special deal with God," Don replied, clearly pleased to
share his discovery with someone who had spent many hours praying in the
same room with him.   He continued,  "Until recently, every time I asked God
to take sin out of my life, I found myself continuing to sin, especially
with evil thoughts and desires.  So I told God that I was giving Him my
mind, as a complete surrender.  I can't tell you the relief I felt.  No
longer were my thoughts and actions mine.  I let God put his thoughts there,
and tell me what to do.  I promised to be absolutely obedient."

"But how did God tell you to grow a beard?" I asked.

"I had never even thought of growing a beard," Don replied, "but one day
after giving God my mind, I was walking to work and an image of myself with
a beard came into my head.  'Where did this image come from?' I wondered.
And then I realized God had put it there.  And although I never wanted a
beard and don't even like the way mine looks, I am growing one to be totally
obedient to God."

Of course God has never promised to any of us to take responsibility for our
minds, or for our actions.  They're our responsibility, not God's.

Some psychology majors soon mentioned Don in some of their classes, and the
Head of the Psychology Department had Don sent to a mental hospital for
evaluation.   The last I heard of him, ten years later, he was still in a
mental hospital, diagnosed as schizophrenic.

All the time I knew Don, I never prostrated myself in the chapel, but I
confess I did so when I was alone in my room.  I would love to have given my
mind to God.  I'm glad God does not want to take it.

Prayer is so dangerous that often I feel the most faithful way that I can
practice it is to shut up and listen, and I must discipline myself to hear
the silence, not to assume that God put into my head whatever fills the
silence.

The Book of Common Prayer helps me focus not just on myself and God's love
for me, but on God's love for the whole world, including those whom I find
it difficult to love.

Jesus' formal prayer typically jerks me off my knees and into action, not
about heaven above, but working to make it happen here, not about
forgiveness for my sin, but about my forgiving those who sin against me.
Forever and ever.  Amen.

Lutibelle/Louie
Newark deputy

http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew