A metaphor for the Anglican Communion as now incarnated

  • Subject: A metaphor for the Anglican Communion as now incarnated
  • From: Louie Crew <lcrew@andromeda.rutgers.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 09:32:18 -0500

Thanks for your patience when you called last night.  As it turned
out, I would have missed the train had I delayed more than 3 minutes,
mainly because of trouble finding a parking place near the station.
Kim and I went to see the play BUTLEY -- a brilliant script and fine
actors, but no one in the play is likeable and there's little to help
us connect as we watch the main character spiritually destroying
himself.  The NY TIMES reviewer got it right when it described Butley as
like a dirty bomb.

Maybe 'dirty bomb destroying itself' is a fit metaphor for the Anglican
Communion as now incarnated.  Thank goodness there will still be all
those Anglicans in the world with whom to connect even if the current
structures fall apart.   Three of the current structures (primates
meetings, the Anglican Consultative Council and the Lambeth Conferences)
have been around for only a small portion of the Communion's long history,
and maybe their main utility is to give the world a stage on which
boil of colonialism finally gets lanced.  I'd rather not be the
needle in this drama, but we didn't get to write the script.

We do get to act the script written by the Lord of the Feast, "A new
commandment I give you, that you love one another."  The only bonds in
the Communion that count finally are the bonds of affection.  Let us
outdo one another in caring for all.

Love, Louie

Louie Crew, 377 S. Harrison St., 12d, East Orange, NJ 07018.
973-395-1068
http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew