[Nat_Int] Will B033 preach?

[For the text of B033, visit
http://gc2006.org/legislation/view_leg_detail.aspx?id=433&type=CURRENT]

I treasure the new and renewed friendships nurtured in the National and
International Concerns Committee and rejoice in the future collaboration
they will enable in our various ministries addressing national and
international concerns.

I grieve that convention dealt with almost none of our resolutions - most
the product of three years of hard work by dedicated members of committees,
commissions, and boards.  The convention turned instead to gaze at all the
lint wadded in the Anglican navel.

I am scheduled to preach at Ascension in Manhattan tomorrow.  It is Gay
Pride Sunday.   Any suggestions on how I should report B033?  What can The
Episcopal Church possibly say to the thousands upon thousands who will march
quite vindicated in their gut understanding that no church would welcome
them?

In the revised common lectionary the propers for tomorrow include the story
of David and Jonathan.  Should I stick only with them?

I don't recall a time at any General Convention when I have seen so many
people take risks for the gospel to vote their conscience and then turn
around to violate their conscience with an opposite vote on the same issue.

It is not surprising that other sensitivities flew out the window.  After
C045 (consent to +NH) in Minneapolis, the House paused to pray in silence
for those who were hurting.  In Columbus after the vote on B033, we did not
pause, but went on with our business.

Friends who went to the chapel to pray at noon found it closed.

In tomorrow's gospel, the disciples waken Jesus who is sleeping in the stern
of the boat, asking him, "Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?
The tempest is raging!"

The good news is that of course Jesus still cares and still commands the
winds and the water.   But I don't.  And Jesus' caring will be much harder
to preach in a church that has vandalized its half-century claim that "The
Episcopal Church Welcomes You."  In common decency all those signs across
the USA should be shrouded for this season.

Paul will be easier:

"We are treated as impostors, and yet are true;  as unknown, and yet are
well known; as dying, and see--we are alive; as punished, and yet not
killed;  as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich;
as having nothing, and yet possessing everything."

Indeed, my "manner of life presents a challenge to the wider church," and I
pledge to Jesus to do all I can to bring such "further strains on
communion."  Pray for me anyway.  I will pray for you without ceasing.

Louie

Louie Crew, 377 S. Harrison St., 12D, E. Orange, NJ 07018. 973-395-1068
http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/O8VolB/TM