Gay Anglicans in Nigeria - Rowan Williams answers (BBC); Louie Crew responds

Fyi.

Louie Crew, Ph.D., D.D., D.D., D.H.L.
Member of Executive Council of the Episcopal Church
http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/rel.html

Subject: Gay Anglicans in Nigeria - Rowan Williams answers

Rowan Williams interviewed by Simon Mayo on BBC

Transcript courtesy of Fulcrum

Lesbian and Gay Anglicans in Nigeria

Simon: On that subject, in the current issue of the Church Times, there's a
story about 800 lesbian and gay Anglicans from all over Nigeria, who met
together. I don't know if you've seen this story. They met for the first
time. Their organization being 'Changing Attitude of Nigeria'. Their
Director has said that: 'The Archbishop of Nigeria, the Most Revd Peter
Akinola, has been telling the other Primates and Provinces an untruth when
he says that gays and lesbians did not exist in Nigeria and that the church
should stop colluding with cultural repression and discrimination against
lesbian, gay and bisexual people. It's the first time gay Anglicans in
Nigeria have met together, I think. Judging from this account, they were
quite scared, actually, as to what the implications might be. What would be
your message to them?

Rowan: I think my message into the whole situation would be actually what I
tried to say this time last year really, in my Advent letter, that there are
all sorts of complicated questions about the ethics of same-sex behaviour.
What I think there is no question about, is the right of homosexual people
to tolerance, civil rights, and public respect, from Christians as from
everybody else. And it's very difficult when the questions - these complex
questions of ethics - get tangled in with a whole set of cultural
prejudices. I hope we can pull those apart a bit.

Simon: And we can look at the situation in this country in just a moment.
And so your message to these gay Anglicans in Nigeria would be: 'Hang on,
keep talking'? Because it doesn't sound as though Archbishop Akinola even is
prepared to accept that they exist.

Rowan: My message, I think, would be: 'They have a right to be listened to,
to be respected as human beings, as in any culture.'

Simon: Do you think they're going to get that respect? Do you think they are
going to get that right?

Rowan: We'll have to wait and see.

Simon: But they should have it, in your opinion?