Re: [LS] more promoting of the g agenda...

As one of Baylor's most published graduates, I wince every time that I see
Baylor in the news.

One of my heroes while there was Brand the Iconoclast, a local
journalist/muckraker who had delighted in taking Baylor to task in the 19th
century.  Several of us visited his gravesite frequently to read poetry.
Before the 20th century, someone had shot a pistol at the headstone, and
when back in Waco for its first gay pride parade in 1996, I confirmed that
the headstone still sports the gunshot defacement.

Brand once said that it takes a Baylor professor more effort and energy to
take up pen or pencil to write anything than it does for a farmer to plow a
field of corn.  Apparently it still does.

When Sinclair Lewis visited in the 20's, he described Waco as a "totem pole
surrounded by Baptists."  Even in the 1950s Waco continued to have only one
tall building.

Amy Lowell smoked a cigar at a banquet the trustees gave when she visited,
and staff worked like crazy to be sure that those most likely to be offended
would be facing away from her and unable to see.

Shortly after I graduated in 1958, Abner McCall, long the dean of the Law
School, became the first layman president since the founder in 1845, Judge
Baylor, McCall soon learned that Baptist preachers can eat lay people alive
in ways they would never do to another Baptist preacher.

One such preacher visited with some high school students in his
congregations who were looking Baylor.  The preacher had heard of the
international reputation of the Baylor theatre, second only to Yale at the
time, and bought tickets for his group  to see the first amateur production
ever authorized by Eugene O'Neill's widow of "Long Day's Journey in Night."
After the third or fourth "God-dammit" (many within the first few minutes of
the play and throughout), the preacher and his teenagers walked out in a
huff.  President McCall attended the next night at the preacher's irate
insistence, and after the first or second "God-dammit" McCall called for
lights and canceled the show.

Paul Baker, the director of Baylor Theater, resigned in disgust and moved to
Trinity University, an Episcopal institution in San Antonio.  He also
continued to run his theatre in Dallas, which Frank Lloyd Wright had
designed.  I once had the privilege of driving Frank Lloyd Wright from the
Waco Airport, but that is yet another story (told in  my poem "Clutching the
Hems of American History" at http://www.poetrykit.org/pkmag/pkmag4/009.htm
about 1/3rd of the way down in the poem.

Paul  Baker, Burgess Meredith, and Charles Lawton had all studied together
in London years earlier; Meredith and Lawton were in student productions at
Baylor every year I was there.  Obviously those talents, like Maupan's,
count for nothing when a bigot goes to war.

The same old same old.

Lutibelle/Louie, B.A. Baylor, 1958; M.A. Auburn, 1959; Ph.D. Alabama, 1971;
D.D. EDS, 1999; D.D. GTS, 2003; D.H.L. CDSP, 2004
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2w4g4/pew_cd.html Lutibelle's Pew on CD