RE: [HoB/D] Akinola and the Kairos Connection Part 1

Gentle Bishop Lee,

Thank you for your counsel.  I share many of your concerns.

Archbishop Akinola called for suspending the Church of England and the
Archbishop of Canterbury from the Communion.  I responded as a Christian,
not as part of a "Gay Agenda."

Gay people did not choose to be the center of the agenda at Lambeth 98.  Gay
people do not choose now to be scapegoats in power grabs in the Communion.
We are people, not issues.

The proper agenda of all Christians is to love God with our hearts, minds,
souls, and strength, and our neighbors as ourselves.   Pray that all of us
will love and serve Christ in the neighbors who revile us and say all manner
of evil against us falsely.

I agree that reactions to lesbians and gays are usurping enormous amounts of
energy from the most important missions which engage us.  A few bishops of
those who are among the neediest have almost abandoned them by rejecting the
aid Anglicans in North America are anxious to give without any strings
attached.  What they spend flying round the world and interfering with the
polity of our provinces could feed, clothe, and medicate thousands.

I agree too that even to notice these attacks risks giving them a life they
might otherwise not have.

Yet if bishops in the Communion hear only the point of view of those who
wish to punish the Anglican Church of Canada, the Episcopal Church, and now
the Province of Brazil, how can they can they possibly make informed
decisions?

Indeed, pray for my discernment as I try to decide what to share. Most of it
is sent to me by others with a request that I share it.  I write very little
of it myself.

I ask you too to be responsible.  Please help us get aid to those most
desperately in need.  Please urge your episcopal colleagues on your
continent not to make their poor and suffering pay the price of purity tests
imposed on Anglicans in Canada and the United States.

Please also call for an end of the rampant scapegoating of gays and
lesbians.  Please ask bishops to live into their promise at Lambeth to
listen to lesbian and gay Christians.

It is indeed important to have other useful things to do.  Currently I am
blessed with an abundance of same.  I do not assume your life is to be
measured completely by the focus of your correspondence with me, and you
should be careful not to make that mistake either.   If you want to know
more about me, freely contact your colleague +Jack Spong.  I understand that
you two collaborated at Lambeth.  I wish that the Conference had agreed to
the further study that you recommended rather than to pass  divisive
resolutions with no juridical authority.

May God use your ministry and mine to bring joy to absolutely everybody.  If
you are ever in the New York area, do let me host you to a meal and a visit
of ministries in the Diocese of Newark.

Faithfully, Louie
Louie Crew, http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/rel.html   My Anglican pages