Re: [HoB/D] Thinking outside the flooded box

There must be other, perhaps better ways, that you can lobby your
issues.   They are important to you, but must be secondary to why we
have a convention.

Of course housing the poor for those days would be but a drop in the
bucket of their need, but it would be important.  Even if we did not
bring the poor of New Orleans, we could provide it for the poor of
Columbus as their surrogates.  And we could have deputies who insisted
on coming, to come and listen to the poor describe their lives and
their need.

That's but a small part of the savings.  The huge savings would be the
diocesan money set aside for paying the way and the lodging of at least one
bishiop and typically 8 deputies and 2 alternates.

As to reforming the current practices to make the convention less
expensive, of course we need those, but that's a distraction from the
radical action that I am proposing as a one-time act of GC 2006.
Also, all efforts to economize in recent conventions have been signally
unimpressive, and we would have no clear way to pass along the savings
to the uninsured victims of Katrina.

Of course GC will have several hundred resolutions to consider, but
the most urgent of those could be handled, as they are between GCs
anyway, by Executive Council.  We also have nearly 100% of the
deputies and bishops online, and it would be possible to use cyber
connections to facilitate the election of the new officers of the
House of Deputies, the new class of Executive Council, and other elections
normally done at Convention physically.

Extraordinary?  Of course.  Do the circumstances merit it?  That is,
would the money sent to those without insurance be worth more in God's
economy?  Absolutely.

We have a major opportunity here.  It will be easy to find hundreds of
rationalizations not to seize it.  That's true with almost every
opportunity that God gives us through putting in our path sisters and
brothers in great need.

Thanks for sharing your reflections.

L.