Re: [HoB/D] A Risen Savior Intent on Rescue

This is a powerful witness, XXXXX, and quite similar to my own experience
of God's revelation regarding a wrong turn in my own life.   I am grateful
for the privilege of putting  my name on record for it.

Growing up as gay, I learned to accept the Church's fierce teaching about
folks like me.  I viewed my persistent longings, despite years of
abstinence, therapy and prayer, as an abomination.  I cowered in secrecy
and saw myself as the worm that others took me to be.  I loathed myself.
I spent enormous amounts of time focused only on myself.  I prayed  long
and hard for God to remake me.

And God did.  God acted not by sending me back into the womb or changing
my plumbing, but by inviting me into another room.   "Extricate yourself
from this," God said, and on Labor Day weekend in 1973 Ernest invited me
into Room 647 at the old Atlanta YMCA on Lucky Street.   Spiritually I
have never left that holy place.

Soon Ernest also said, " "Extricate yourself from self-loathing:  I love
you."   We courted for 5 months and then committed ourselves in marriage,
on 2/2/74.

It was only because Ernest said it that I learned God meant it in a way
far bigger than Ernest and I together could ever imagine:  "Extricate
yourself from your fear of how I made you.  I love you, just as you are."

Accepting God's love frees us up from self-absorption.  Our God is an
awesome God and wants us to say to absolutely everybody,  "Extricate
yourself from this:  I love you."

Many will not likely hear God saying "I love you" until they hear one of
us saying it first.

Grace is amazing still.  Our risen savior still intends rescue.

Louie Crew, L1 Newark.  Member of Executive Council
377 S. Harrison St., 12D, East Orange, NJ 07018.  973-395-1068
http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/rel..html  Anglican Pages