Re: Those who live in glass houses

Gentle XXXX  XXXXXX,

Thanks for sharing your concerns.

Frequently we tell Palestinian Leaders that they should speak out against
the youth who throw rocks at Israelis and against  those who become suicide
bombers. We know that the terrorists do not report to and are not deployed
by the Palestinian leaders.   Yet we rightly hold the leaders responsible
for their public silence, which the hooligans take as tacit approval.

The nation rightly held responsible civic leaders like my father and our
neighbor the mayor when the red-neck Adams Boys burned the Freedom Rider bus
in my home town.  My father and the mayor had no use for the Adams boys, but
when they did not speak out to assure safe passage of the Freedom Riders,
the Adams Boys took their silences as a cue.  A year or so later, off the
national camera but on the local one, the mayor, my father, and others
safely escorted the first black patrons into the local Carnegie Library,
which remains racially integrated without incident until this day.

I agree with you that The Episcopal Church has too often kept silence in the
face of grave injustice.  Most notably we remained silent about slavery, and
were the only denomination not to divide over it in the Civil War, much to
our shame.   While we are not the nation's moral police force, scripture,
tradition and reason hold us accountable for using our influence to address
the public good not only with our lips in the lovely words of our Prayer
Book, but also with our lives in public witness.  That's why General
Convention passes resolutions addressing public policy, nationally and
internationally. That's why the Episcopal Church maintains a Washington
Office.

I agree with you that God's love of lgbt people is not a minor issue.  It is
as huge as his love of the uncircumcised, and puts the church today into
just as rigorous a reaction as did the Council of Jerusalem.  All the first
Christians were Jews, but by the end of the first century, there were very
few Jewish Christians, much to the loss of the Church, which needs still the
Jewish perspective on the holy texts we share.   I hope that we can hold
together as much as possible across the gulf that seems now to divide us.
With God all things are possible.

May God use you to bless others.

Best wishes.

LC
Louie Crew
Member of Executive Council
Chair of deputation of the Diocese of Newark