[HoB/D] Old Fashioned Revival Hour -- Kleenex Alert

Dolly [not her real name] is a treasure in my parish and a bit of a kook.
She volunteers for everything, and works independently at it like a
Trojan.  Most find it impossible to work with her, because she is so
bossy.  She scrubs, she cleans, she cooks, she ushers.....and at the same
time she sometimes re-organizes things so that no one else can find them.
She folds, stuffs and stamps with the rigor of Rosie the Riveter, not with
the others, but alone in a room that she refers to as her "office."  "Put
that in my office," she sometimes orders a passing choirboy as she points
to a box of assorted items.

Recently two of my former students invited me to lunch.  One is an
Arab/Puerto Rican, about to finish med school.  The other is a Portuguese
poet and journalist. They are two of the brightest people I know, and I
learn much from them.  They are not religious. They became friends when
they took several of my classes together six and seven years ago.  We
reconnect frequently.  The courses they liked the most were two Bible as
Literature classes -- one semester of Hebrew Scriptures, one of Christian
Scriptures.

Since they wanted to go to lunch this time on a Sunday, I suggested that
they join me at Grace Church en route.  "I'm not proselytizing," I
stressed, "but you need to experience Anglocatholicism as part of your
ongoing education."  They registered no reluctance.

The person in charge of ushers was late, so Dolly appointed herself to the
task.  Before I noticed her, she whispered to my two guests that they were
to take the oblations to the altar at the appropriate time in the service.
(Not "Would you be willing to?" but "You are to ......"  Vintage Dolly.)
When I realized what she had told them, they were politely shaking their
heads 'no.'

No one says no to Dolly.  "But they are here as guests, Dolly," I
importuned.  She glared daggers at me.

"We'll do it," one of them said.  I was silently fuming, sure that they
would think that I had set Dolly up to ask them.  I apologized profusely
over lunch.  They smiled graciously.  "No big deal," they said.

Yesterday my parish hosted a diocesan workshop on evangelism for all the
Episcopal parishes in the city of Newark.  Dolly arrived late and joined
the same breakout group with me just as we were discussing how each of us
came into the Episcopal Church.  All except me had been Roman Catholics,
including Dolly.  One who is now a school teacher had been a priest, and
left because he was gay and couldn't take the repression anymore. Another
found out about Grace years ago when a family member sang in our men and
boys choir.  She left the Catholic Church for 10 years, and remembered how
much she had liked Grace when she visited to hear him sing.  Meanwhile,
she had lost a dear family member to AIDS, and she knew that Grace would
provide space for healing in her grief.

All the "ex" Roman Catholics still go to Roman Catholic Masses and
confession fairly often.  "I'm an Episcopalian," Dolly said, "but there is
only one God."

"Why did you join Grace?" I asked Dolly; "what brought you here?"

"Well, I live across the street, so of course I checked it out, especially
for some of the daily masses.  It's actually more like the Catholic Church
I grew up in.  I can make my confessions in the booth beside our the side
chapel.  And Father Holland is very nice to me.  But the reason I decided
to stay was different.  I came to a wedding here that could not happen
anywhere else.  I knew the groom. All of you know him too.  He's one of
the nicest persons anywhere.  Clay.  You know Clay, don't you?"  she asked
me.

I nodded yes.  She had no extra twinkle in her eye, and intended no irony.

"I waited for the bride to appear, but no bride came.  Another man came
instead.  I don't remember who he was.  He was a white guy.  And they were
married right here in this church.  It was beautiful.  That's when I
decided to stay.I want to remain a part of a church that can do that.

It did not seem the time to identify myself as the mystery second groom,
nor the time to clarify that she had not attended a wedding, but rather a
renewal of the wedding vows which Ernest and I had taken on February 2,
1974 -- 25 years before the service she attended.

"I keep a stand," she continued.

"A what?" I asked.  I was quite caught up in my emotions at this time, and
don't hear all that well even in the best of times.  I thought she meant
to say, "I take a stand."

"I keep a stand," she said impatiently. "I sell things at my stand on
Broad Street, just outside here.  And Clay has sometimes seen me when he's
downtown to do treasurer stuff, and has occasionally helped me at my
stand.  He such a nice guy.

"Also, lots of those people, the gays, walk by my stand.  I can detect
them some of the time, and when I do, I like to make them feel good.
'You look gorgeous, girl,' I say to some of the men, and they always break
out in a great smile.

"At this church I can be a part of a group that makes all people feel
welcome."

When my mother-in-law Mae Del Clay died in 1998, the whole congregation at
her Baptist church swayed in floods of grief.  It seemed like the building
itself was rocking with us.  Ernest "lost it" big time for a while; this
was a space safe for his paroxysms of grief.  The congregation marvelously
enfolded us mourners with love.  Many rose to testify to what Ms. Mae
Del had meant to them.  The most moving of all was a woman known as the
neighborhood drunk.  Weeping, she said, "None of you knew the Ms. Mae Del
that I knew.  Even when she had almost nothing left that month, she would
give me something of what she had.  One day Ms. Mae Del was walking down
to the store and saw me drunk and passed out in the ditch.  She woke me,
took me to her house, gave me a bath, fed me, and put me on the bed to
sober up.  She slept all that night on the couch so I could sleep in her
bed."

Like mother, like son, Dolly!  Like mother, like son.

1. Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
O what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.
Refrain:

              Refrain:

This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior, all the day long.

This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior, all the day long.

--Fanny Crosby, No 269 in The Baptist Hymnal 1956

Lutibelle/Louie
Louie Crew, Chair of Newark Deputation.  Member of Executive Council
http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/rel.html  Anglican Pages