[HoB/D] Talking turkey

[Note:  This is a revision of the original post.  I apologize to all
whom the earlier version might have offended.  -- Louie Crew, 5/21/05]

If you have not already done so, you should read "Frequently Asked
Questions About Funding in the Episcopal Church" at
http://gc2003.episcopalchurch.org/documents/ECFundingFAQ.pdf   It is a
good document to print and share  with persons who ask these questions of
you as a deputy to General Convention.

One important fact is not included in the FAQ: That is, canonical expenses
are met first before any money is spent for program and mission:

 If in any year the total anticipated income for budget support
 is less than the amount required to support the budget approved
 by the General Convention, the canonical portion of the Budget
 for the Episcopal Church shall have funding priority over any
 other budget areas subject to any decreases necessary to maintain
 a balanced budget.
        (I.4.6d of the Constitution and Canons, 2003, page 32)

That is why the FAQ notes:  "'What happens if congregations or dioceses
withhold their money from DFMS?'   Reductions in funding for national
programs may affect existing work and may slow or stop new ministry
initiatives."

In other words, program and mission suffer when money is withheld.

Some who withhold talk as if they are getting back at the General
Convention or the PB or.....   Expenses for running General Convention and
paying for the office of the PB are canonical expenses, the very last to
be vulnerable according to our canons.    Those most likely to receive the
brunt force of cuts are the poor and suffering served by our program
budget.

If dioceses withhold money, they still have access to the full canonical
services of the Episcopal Church.  Their deputies come to General
Convention fully enfranchised with seat and voice, albeit at the cost
of others.  The money it  takes to pay for their  participation has to
be removed from programs that serve people far needier than they are.

According to the FAQ, the canonical expenses of The Episcopal Church in
this triennium are $28,115,000.  That amount is 19.2% of the $146,394,000
total budget.   Dioceses paying the full 21% of their income asked are
paying not only their fair share of the canonical expenses, but also
paying the shares withheld by others.

I tallied the amounts withheld in the last triennium at
http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/2001dio.html  and expect to
replicate that report for this triennium soon.

The official budget for this triennium appears at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/finance_19599_ENG_HTM.htm. The treasurer's
report to Executive Council on February 14, 2005 appears at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/documents/2005Budget_Presentation.pdf

L.
Louie Crew, Chair of Newark Deputation.  Member of Executive Council
http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/rel.html  Anglican Pages