Remarks at the Rally to Commemorate the 2nd Anniversary of the Murder of Sakia Gunn

May 11, 2005, Military Park, Newark, NJ

By Louie Crew

My gaydar is broken, but I sense there are at least some of you who are
straight who are here to join with us today.  Bless your hearts!   We are
grateful that you would risk sharing our stigma.   We need your help.  May
your numbers increase!

No one group can make it all alone.  We all need each other - straights and
lbgts alike, blacks, whites, Asians and multiethnic persons alike; women and
men..

The Newark Pride Alliance is that, an alliance, and we want to promote
healthy alliances everywhere.   Some of you who are straight are there when
things are said that would never be said when people know lbgt persons are
present.  You know what I mean.  And those things will continue to be said
until you, and those like you, say, "For as much as you are talking about my
friends, you are talking about me, and I won't allow it."

All of our public schools need to develop alliances between gays and
straights.   If there is not such an alliance in your school, you don't even
have to be lbtg to start one.

I am delighted that my bishop is here.  Thank you, Bishop Croneberger.
Raise your hands all who are clergy:   I charge you to find more to join
you.

These crimes will continue until the leaders of all institutions in this
community get serious about their job to serve everyone, not just

Violence does not just happen.    Bullies act in the most predictably when
they think no one will be concerned, they pick on those already the most
vulnerable.

We are here today because those in power in this community are not doing
their jobs, they are not fulfilling the obligations to make Newark  a safe
community for all citizens, especially for unpopular citizen.

We are here today because of the brutal murder of Sakia Gunn two years ago
at the main intersection of the city.

We are here today because the mayor has not fulfilled his commitment to
assure safe spaces for lesbian and gay youth in this city.

We are here today because we do not have the lesbigay youth center that  so
desperately need.

We are here today because too many of the clergy of this town, like Pontius
Pilate when Jesus was brought before him, want to wash their hands of the
matter.  New Jersey's LAD (Law Against Discrimination) exempts religious
institutions, and too many congregations and their leaders use that
exemption as a license to teach hate and shame.  This must stop.

We are here today because too few people in this community treat us their
lesbian and gay neighbors as themselves.

Far too many Christians treat the bible as a weapon rather than as Jesus
treated it, as a book of life.     "God so loved the world.."  Not just the
heterosexual world, but the world, all of it, absolutely everyone of us.
"God so loved the world..that whosoever believeth....,  whosoever believeth,
whosoever believeth..."

Just what part of whosoever is so difficult to understand?

As slaves reminded the world with strong irony:  Not everybody talking about
heaven is going there!

We are here today because racism limits the humanity of this place - this
city, this state, this nation, this world.

We are here to proclaim that the lives of lesbians of color, the lives of
gays, bisexuals, and transgendered persons of color are of equal value to
the lives of white lesbians of color, the lives of white gays, white
bisexual and white transgendered persons.

Today I Googled for the name "Sakia Gunn" and in the whole world wide web
found only  5,010 hits.          I googled for the name "Matthew Shepherd"
and found 128,000 hits, over 25 times the attention given on the internet to
Sakia Gunn.

That, folks, is wrong.   We cannot reverse evil, we cannot end murder, if we
don't know that it is happening.      On May 11, 2003, when Richard
McCullough stabbed to death 15 year old Sakia Gunn, he acted just as
egregiously, just as heinously, as did Russell Henderson (an Eagle Scout)
and Aaron McKinney on October 12, 1998 when they crucified Matthew Shepherd.
Matthew and Sakia are both in God's arms today, but we are not.  We are
stuck here to remove the injustices that sent them both to God.

We are here today because our Newark's schools and institutions of higher
learning have not done their job well.  It is one thing to receive students
who bring the hatred of the street with them when they begin their
education.  It is quite another for us to graduate them still holding the
hatred of the streets, often with no evidence of ever encountering serious
challenges to that hatred.

 What colleges and universities in Newark are safe for gay students?

 Which of these institutions has added to the curriculum the texts so vital
for everyone to learn to live with  one another, not threatened by our
differences, but delighting in our great diversity?

 What high schools in Newark  have added to the curriculum the texts vital
to have lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgendered people to understand our
many contributions to the rich heritage of science, literature and the arts?
Rita Mae Brown once said, "If Michelangelo had been straight, he would have
painted the Sistine Chapel off white and used a roller.

How many of their chancellors, deans, and department heads have worked with
lesbian and gay colleagues and students to make a safe environment?

Why are the campus police and security officials often the ones least open
the concerns of lesbians and gays?

If we act in alliance, in solidarity, we can end this violence.

                                                          -- 30 --