Re: Exec Council

XXXXXXXXXX,

I have not polled any members of Executive Council.   I sense that most at
the moment tend to want our ACC representatives to go, but possibly I am
projecting my own views on others that do not share them.  My own view is
not hard and fast:  I am open to persuasion..  I have much respect for the
Presiding Bishop in his support of the actions of General Convention.  He is
taking more than a lion's share of the heat because of our actions, and I
tend to give therefore more than usual weight to his opinion.

I believe that all us will be going to Chicago with minds and hearts open,
looking especially for ways that we can honor our consciences with the least
additional offense to those whom we have aggrieved by doing so at GC 2003.

I agree with you that some in the Communion seem bent on having no part of a
Communion in which The Episcopal Church and the Anglican Church of Canada do
not bend to their will in matters human sexuality.  Those with these
convictions must do what they must do.   I will not shape my views in
reaction to theirs, but do want to be sensitive to their concerns.

I want The Episcopal Church not to leave the Communion voluntarily.  I think
that our presence on the ACC is important quite beyond the witness we make
to our own convictions.  Even the primates themselves backed off from the
parts of the Windsor Report that would give more power to the Archbishop of
Canterbury, as did the ACC in response to the Virginia Report.

For many of the same reasons the Communion will not be well served by giving
new powers to the Primates Meeting.   We left a church with a curia at our
beginning.

I believe that it is still possible to honor one another across our many
differences.   We should not stop honoring and respecting others even if
they dishonor us and trash our faith commitments.   The only way to stop
rancor is not to participate in it ourselves.

It is vital that The Episcopal Church continue to do mission in the world
beyond its borders.  It is crucial to our discipleship that we give from the
bounty that God has given to us.  It is vital that we grow from the strong
and faithful witness of those who disagree with us.   The loose structures
of the Anglican Communion have helped enormously as networks for such shared
ministry.  We will continue to find networks even we are excluded from
official participation in the Anglican Communion.

Best wishes.