Re: [HoB/D] Uganda to the Diocese of Pennsylvania

Date: Friday, April 01, 2005 11:01 PM
Subject: [HoB/D] Uganda, to the Diocese of Central Pennsylvania

> Statement from Bishop Jackson Nzerebende Tembo on the relationship
> of South Rwenzori Diocese, Uganda, to the Diocese of Central
> Pennsylvania, USA

> On 20th November 2003 the Church of Uganda broke communion with the
> Episcopal Church USA (ECUSA), a fellow member of the world-wide
> Anglican Communion, because it ignored the clear warning from all
> four instruments of unity in the Anglican Communion, plus its own
> House of Bishops Theology Committee, that if it proceeded with the
> consecration as bishop of a man living in a same-sex relationship
> that it would "tear the fabric of our [Anglican] Communion at its
> deepest level." (Primates of the Anglican Communion Communiqui,
> October 2003,
> http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/articles/36/25/acns3633.html)

The House of Bishops Theology Committee report was considered at the
March 18, 2003 meeting of the House of Bishops, which did not endorse
it but received it with thanks.  (See the resolution and the report
itself at http://episcopalchurch.org/documents/theologycomreport.pdf)

The Report made no comment about the consecration of a gay bishop nor
any comment about consents to the election of a gay bishop.  Indeed,
at the point the bishops met, Gene Robinson had not even been
nominated in New Hampshire.  Nominees were not announced until two
weeks later April 2, 2003. Gene Robinson was not elected until June 7,
2003, three months after the bishops voted to receive the report.

L.

Louie Crew, L1 Newark.  Member of Executive Council
377 S. Harrison St., 12D, East Orange, NJ 07018.  973-395-1068
http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/rel.2.html  Anglican Pages