Re: A Tainted Easter Message [from the Washington Post]

Michael+,

Thank you for writing.

In Matthew 12, when Jesus talked about the sin of Sodom, he referred to the
inhospitality of the local marauders to the strangers within their gates.
The men in the crowd in the Old Testament story were  rapists;  the turn-on
for the rapists is power, not affection.

When Jesus referenced the story, he did not mention the sexuality there.
Indeed, who would assert that Lot's heterosexuality is normative?  Note well
his willingness to throw his own daughter's to the rapists.  Would you want
your own daughters to see you in him?  See the work of your fellow Brit D.
Sherwin Bailey on the Sodom story, written 50 years ago: Homosexuality and
the Western Christian Tradition (London: Longmans, Green, and Co., 1955). .

On several visits to Africa I have found African Christians quite hospitable
to me as an out gay Christian .  I was the convener of the lesbigay caucus
at the World Council of Churches in Harare in 1998.  Africans packed over 50
padres (break-out discussion groups) sponsored and led by lesbigay
Christians (see my diary at the time:
http://rci.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/wccdiary.html)

When I met with bishops of Uganda in February 2001, I asked what they had
done to live into their pledge at Lambeth 1998 to hear the witness of
lesbian and gay Christians. They asked us what The Episcopal Church had done
in this regard, and they seemed open dialogue.   But the Archbishop turned
hostile.  That evening he excoriated me before most bishops of the Sudan and
Uganda where we were guests at his palace (see
http://rci.rutgers.edu/~lcrew/natter_old2/msg00058.html).  This
inhospitality was very un-African and un-Christian.

A Sudanese bishop recently visited in The Episcopal Church and his host
bishop, one who supports the decisions of the Diocese of New Hampshire, was
being especially careful not to offend the Sudanese guest.  The two visited
many places in the diocese to raise awareness about the need in Sudan and to
prompt generosity.   In introducing the Sudanese bishop the host bishop
said, sensitively, words to the effect of:  "We grieve that our actions have
offended you. We take the Windsor Report seriously and hope that we can
continue these bonds of affection..."   After about the third such
introduction, the bishop from the Sudan took his host aside and said,
"XXXXX, what is the Windsor Report?"

The fury and rage of the primates is no more on the radar screen of most
congregations in Africa than it is on the radar screen of most parishes in
The Episcopal Church..   They and we have far more important matters to
address.

It is well documented that the primates' inhospitality is being encouraged
by powerful money from one major donor in the United States, Howard
Fieldstead Ahmanson Jr. . (Google for "Ahmanson Anglican" and you will
access close to 800 items).    Ahmanson is not buying the primates'
convictions (they have held those all along), but he is encouraging the new
priority they have given to sexuality -- never before in Christendom used as
a matter of core doctrine.

Many Africans, including Christians, have not accepted Western Christian
mores about sexuality.  Several clergy friends who are African tell me that
many priests and bishops keep mistresses whose names are known in the
community.  If you do not have African friends who can confirm this for you,
you do not have a level of trust with which they can be candid.
Missionaries to Africa steadily complained about the intractable sexual
mores of their converts, and Western visitors have often looked down our
noses at them.  One can easily appreciate the personal satisfaction the
primates must feel in the opportunity to look down their noses at The
Episcopal Church and the Anglican Church in Canada for approving what the
primates see as clearly unbiblical.

Shaming and shunning are understandable, but not laudable.  They are not
Gospel values.

If lesbian and gay Christians promoted the promiscuity which  the primates
stereotypically attribute to us, I would share the primates' disapproval.

The primates are very selective in the sexual sins of the West which they
attack.  They have not spoken out against the Church of England's
endorsement of the marriage of Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles --
breaking with scripture and Christian tradition far more unambiguously than
did The Episcopal Church in consenting to the consecration of the duly
elected Bishop of New Hampshire.

Most evangelicals are willing to admit that gay and lesbians people are but
the presenting issue, that their more stringent concerns are with the
authority of scripture and with governance in the Anglican Communion.   That
is, gay and lesbian people are scapegoats.

Most who are scapegoating us have not visited our Samaritan wells.  They
have not learned of the transformations that Jesus is working in our lives.

L.
Louie Crew, PhD, DD, DD, DHL
Member of Executive Council (like your Archbishop's Council, but also the
Board of Directors of The Episcopal Church)
Chair of deputation of the Diocese of Newark to General Convention 2006